Dispersion of gravitational waves

In summary: With only two detectors the source position is primarily determined by the relative arrival Time and localized to an area of approximately 600 deg2 (90% credible region)....says that the LIGO detection is not completely conclusive yet.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The LIGO paper https://dcc.ligo.org/LIGO-P150914/public puts limits on the dispersion of gravitational waves, which can be interpreted as an upper limit of 10^-22 eV on the mass of the graviton. We all know that low-amplitude gravitational waves are supposed to propagate at c according to the Einsten field equations, although proving this is a bit of work and not entirely transparent. Clearly if gravitational waves have some fixed velocity, it has to be c, because there is no other invariant velocity. I guess if the graviton had a mass, there would have to be some other unitful constants in the field equations besides G and c, since you can't build anything with units of mass out of G and c.

But is there any simple way of looking at the field equations and seeing that they predict no dispersion for gravitational waves? By "simple" I mean something simpler than linearizing them and showing that the solutions propagate at c.

There was a time about 10 years ago when Lee Smolin was pushing the idea that LQG predicted dispersion of light, and he claimed that there were prospects for testing and confirming that prediction soon. Turns out that he was wrong on theoretical grounds. I wonder if this limit on dispersion of gravitational waves puts any constraints on LQG or any other theories of quantum gravity.

Likes martinbn and ShayanJ
Physics news on Phys.org
Verification of the existence of gravitational waves is important but not really unexpected. Einstein's field equations predict (assume?) that G Waves will propagate at light speed which suggests that Maxwell's relationship between the characteristic impedance of free space and c extends beyond electromagnetic radiation and that gravitational waves are subject to the same underlying space-time structure. The logic is sound but the propagation velocity of G waves has never been measured. Such a measurement would provide yet another validation of general relativity. It is possible that the LIGOS interferometer can support such a measurement. The Abbot paper on G Wave observation is consistent with Vg=c but I am not sure that their discovery rises to the level of confirmation.

ProfChuck said:
The logic is sound but the propagation velocity of G waves has never been measured.
Hi ProfChuck:

You may want to look through the other threads about LIGO. Unfortunately I don't remember which one, and my search effort was not successful.

One of the posts calculated the speed of the detected wave as it moved from the Washington site to Texas (or vise versa). It was slightly slower than c, and the the difference was within the measurement error.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Ralph Dratman
The frequency of the G waves is low, a few hundred hz, and the light time separation between the two sites is about 10ms It is difficult to measure Vg with high accuracy under these conditions. The measurement results are consistent with Vg=~c but, like the equivalence principal it would be nice to have a more accurate measurement.

Just by the time difference, a single event does not allow to set a lower limit on speed - the wave could be very slow if its propagation is nearly perpendicular to the line between the two detectors. More events will rule out that option, and a careful analysis of the polarization and relative amplitudes helps as well. Also, a speed notably slower than c without dispersion would be really odd.

Likes ProfChuck
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi ProfChuck:

You may want to look through the other threads about LIGO. Unfortunately I don't remember which one, and my search effort was not successful.

One of the posts calculated the speed of the detected wave as it moved from the Washington site to Texas (or vise versa). It was slightly slower than c, and the the difference was within the measurement error.

Regards,
Buzz
If it turns out that Vg is differeng
mfb said:
Just by the time difference, a single event does not allow to set a lower limit on speed - the wave could be very slow if its propagation is nearly perpendicular to the line between the two detectors. More events will rule out that option, and a careful analysis of the polarization and relative amplitudes helps as well. Also, a speed notably slower than c without dispersion would be really odd.
Any speed other than c would require a serious examination of the Einstein field equations and general relativity. Proving that Vg=c would provide additional confirmation to GRT. If Vg does not = c then that would suggest new physics.

mfb said:
Just by the time difference, a single event does not allow to set a lower limit on speed - the wave could be very slow if its propagation is nearly perpendicular to the line between the two detectors.
Hi mfb:

From http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
With only two detectors the source position is primarily determined by the relative arrival Time and localized to an area of approximately 600 deg2 (90% credible region).

I think this implies that the calculation of the speed of the wave between Washington and Texas was used to calculate the 600 deg2 value.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi mfb:

From http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
With only two detectors the source position is primarily determined by the relative arrival Time and localized to an area of approximately 600 deg2 (90% credible region).

I think this implies that the calculation of the speed of the wave between Washington and Texas was used to calculate the 600 deg2 value.

Regards,
Buzz
In summation: Do gravity waves exist? Yes. Does Vg=c? Insufficient data.

mfb said:
that localization assumed light-speed propagation.
Hi mfb:

Thank you for clarifying. That was what I guessed, but i wasn't sure.

Regards,
Buzz

A pivotal question: "Do gravitational waves constructively interfere?" If so it may be possible to construct a device that generates a coherent monochromatic beam of gravitational radiation that is powerful enough to be detected by a LIGOS interferometer.

ProfChuck said:
A pivotal question: "Do gravitational waves constructively interfere?" If so it may be possible to construct a device that generates a coherent monochromatic beam of gravitational radiation that is powerful enough to be detected by a LIGOS interferometer.
If you have 1015 massive spinning objects, maybe. That's about the amplification factor you would need. So if we convert Earth into a huge array of spinning objects, ...

If you assume constructive interference and the gravitational equivalent of a traveling wave amplifier it might just be doable. I am looking at the math. The machine would be huge and would push materials science but the rewards would be significant. Among other things it would provide a direct measure of Vg which would be another GTR confirmation. Fantastic? Yes, Impossible? Maybe not. Think of a dynamic version of the Cavendish experiment.

ProfChuck said:
I am looking at the math.
So what do you need as source?

A direct measurement of the speed of gravitational waves will come once more detectors are in operation.

Actually, what I have in mind is more of a traveling wave gravitational oscillator than amplifier. It would produce a bidirectional coherent beam of gravitational radiation at a selectable frequency. Unfortunately, my initial calculations suggest that in order to produce G waves detectable by LIGO the machine would need to be over 200 km long with several hundred rotors with diameters over 80 meters. Difficult but, in principal, not impossible. Hmmm.

It would also require several tons of depleted uranium to act as mass couple pairs. I can't imagine that anyone would be willing to fund such a thing.

If you can build it at all, you certainly don't need Uranium. Tungsten is both denser and cheaper.

The bigger problem is the power. To be as loud at 900 miles as the gravitational wave source was at 1.3 GLy, you need a power in the gravitational spectrum of 750 MW. Since only a tiny fraction of the power will go into gravitational radiation, you need a huge power source - probably more than the entire power generation of Earth, which is only about 15 TW,

Where are you a professor?

Yes, Tungsten would work. I agree, with the parameters you mention it is impractical. Just a fun exercise. But the same thing was said about
Alcubierre drive. New numbers have moved it from the impossible to the really really hard.
I am retired now. I worked at NASA/JPL as a research scientist and pilot for 40 years and taught astronomy and physics at several different colleges as a visiting professor.

ProfChuck said:
But the same thing was said about Alcubierre drive.

I don't see one of those either. :wink:

ProfChuck said:
the gravitational equivalent of a traveling wave amplifier

Which would be what, exactly?

Related to Dispersion of gravitational waves

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were later confirmed by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in 2015.

2. How are gravitational waves dispersed?

Gravitational waves are dispersed in a similar way to light waves. They travel at the speed of light and their amplitude decreases as they move away from the source. As they pass through different materials or gravitational fields, they can also be bent, refracted, or diffracted.

3. Can gravitational waves be detected?

Yes, gravitational waves can be detected using specialized instruments, such as the LIGO detectors. These instruments use laser interferometry to measure tiny distortions in space-time caused by the passing of a gravitational wave.

4. How are gravitational waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves in several ways. They are not affected by electric or magnetic fields, they can pass through any material without being absorbed or scattered, and they are not affected by the presence of other particles. Additionally, gravitational waves are produced by the acceleration of massive objects, while electromagnetic waves are produced by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields.

5. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

The detection of gravitational waves has opened up a new window into the universe and has confirmed a key prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It has also allowed scientists to study the most extreme events in the universe, such as the collision of black holes and the explosion of supernovae, in a completely new way. This has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and its origins.