Gravity Variation Along a Rotating Space Station

In summary, the perceived "gravity" along a spoke of a rotating "space station" with an outer ring at normal Earth gravity will increase linearly from the center (where it is zero) to the rim. The factor to determine this gravity is given by angular speed ω and the centripetal force equation F = mω2r. At 25 metres from the ring, the gravity would be 0.75g, at 50 metres it would be 0.5g, at 75 metres it would be 0.25g, and at 99 metres it would be 0.01g.
enzi
This may seem like a very simple question but given my lack of knowledge in the area, I'm stumped:

If we have a rotating "space station" a la 2001: A Space Odyssey where the outer ring is at normal Earth gravity, what is the factor to determine how much gravity would be at various points along the "spokes"? So let's say the "spoke" is 100 metres long, what would the gravity be 25 metres from the ring, 50 metres from the ring, 75 metres from the ring, and 99 metres from the ring (1 metre from the hub)?

Thanks in advance for your help on this and I apologize for being so dense that I can't figure this out on my own! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of angular speed ω, the centripetal force needed to keep an object of mass m moving in a circle of radius r is F = mω2r. So the perceived "gravity" along a spoke increases linearly from the center (where it is zero) to the rim.

Linearly! That one I wouldn't have guessed. So we can safely say that 25 metres from the ring we have .75g, 50 metres from the ring we have .5g, 75 metres from the ring we have .25g, and 99 metres from the ring we have .01g. Thanks!

Related to Gravity Variation Along a Rotating Space Station

What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is the outward force that is experienced by an object in circular motion. It is caused by the tendency of an object to move in a straight line, and the force that acts in the opposite direction to keep the object moving in a circular path.

How does a centrifugal pendulum work?

A centrifugal pendulum is a device that uses the principles of centrifugal force and inertia to measure forces acting on a rotating system. As the pendulum rotates, the centrifugal force causes the pendulum to move away from the center of rotation, and the inertia of the pendulum causes it to resist this movement. The deflection of the pendulum can then be used to measure the forces acting on the system.

What are the applications of a centrifugal pendulum?

Centrifugal pendulums are commonly used in engineering and physics research to measure forces and moments acting on rotating systems. They are also used in the design and testing of machinery and equipment, such as engines, turbines, and gyroscopes.

What factors affect the accuracy of a centrifugal pendulum?

The accuracy of a centrifugal pendulum depends on several factors, including the speed of rotation, the mass and dimensions of the pendulum, and the precision of the measuring instruments. Friction and air resistance can also affect the accuracy of the measurements.

How is a centrifugal pendulum different from a simple pendulum?

A centrifugal pendulum differs from a simple pendulum in that it uses the principles of centrifugal force and inertia to measure forces, while a simple pendulum relies on the force of gravity. Additionally, a centrifugal pendulum can measure forces in any direction, while a simple pendulum can only measure forces in the direction of its swing.