Gravity another question from a bus driver

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero gravity at the center of the Earth, which would also apply to stars and black holes. It is mentioned that there is an "event horizon" where gravity is half G when moving away from the center. The conversation also touches on the possibility of a cavity at the center of a cold body like the Moon, but it is noted that the pressure at the center would be too great to support such a cavity. It is clarified that while there is zero net pull of gravity at the center of the Earth, there is still a weight being exerted on it from objects on the surface.
bigalzz
if we accept that there is zero gravity at the center of the earth. then this would be true for stars and even black holes.. and if you move from the center, at some point there will be an "event horizon" (for want of a better term) where the gravity is half G. and further, if a cold body such as the moon has zero gravity at the center, it may very well have a cavity at the center??
i'm sure I'm wrong and i don't know what difference it would make but i'd like to find out for sure and why not. i have the burden of a curious but uneducated mind.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Even at the center of the Moon the pressure would be so great (about 50,000 atm), that no cavity could be supported.

As has been said in your other post, the net pull of gravity is zero at the center but not anywhere else. A 5 ton block on the surface of the Earth adds 5 tons of weight pressing down on the center of the Earth, as something must support this weight and the weight of the rest of the Earth as well.

Related to Gravity another question from a bus driver

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by exerting a force between objects with mass. The strength of the force is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the force of gravity. The Earth has a large mass, so it exerts a strong gravitational force on objects near its surface, pulling them towards the ground.

4. Can gravity be turned off or reversed?

No, gravity is a fundamental force and cannot be turned off or reversed. However, it can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of air resistance or the force of thrust from a rocket.

5. How is gravity related to the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that holds planets in orbit around the sun. The gravitational force between the sun and the planets keeps them in their respective orbits, preventing them from flying off into space.