Gravity animation: lessons learned - comments

In summary, the author of the PF Insights article discusses the use of Construct 2 program to create a gravity simulation similar to Mercury's orbit. They also mention the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit and how it can be explained using Newton's laws of gravity and the effects of other planets. The discrepancy was initially attributed to an undiscovered planet, but was later accounted for by Einstein's theory of General Relativity. The author also requests more information on gravitational waves and their effects on rotating bodies.
edguy99
Gold Member
edguy99 submitted a new PF Insights post

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/gravity-animation-lessons-learned-insight-gained-new-questions/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/gravity_animation-80x80.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/gravity-animation-lessons-learned-insight-gained-new-questions/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting article. Makes me want to break out my Construct 2 program and see if I can do something similar in it.

As per Mercury's orbit. You can get it to precess using only Newton's laws of gravity, if you include other planets in your model and their perturbing effects on Mercury (and to a small degree, the effect due to the oblateness of the Sun. ). What is anomalous about Mercury's precession is not that it exists, but that it is as great as it is. Mercury has a faster precession rate than it should if you use Newton's laws and include these perturbing effects . A first, the discrepancy was blamed on the existence of an, of yet, undiscovered body orbiting closer to the Sun than Mercury, to which the name Vulcan was given. The search for Vulcan lasted for some 56 years, until Einstein was able to account for the difference with GR.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Janus said:
As per Mercury's orbit. You can get it to precess using only Newton's laws of gravity, if you include other planets in your model and their perturbing effects on Mercury (and to a small degree, the effect due to the oblateness of the Sun. ). What is anomalous about Mercury's precession is not that it exists, but that it is as great as it is. Mercury has a faster precession rate than it should if you use Newton's laws and include these perturbing effects . A first, the discrepancy was blamed on the existence of an, of yet, undiscovered body orbiting closer to the Sun than Mercury, to which the name Vulcan was given. The search for Vulcan lasted for some 56 years, until Einstein was able to account for the difference with GR.
You are correct, based on our equinox line, we expect to find a precession of about 5025 arc seconds per century. However, astronomers have observed a precession rate of 5600 arc seconds per century. Using Lagrange and Laplace calculation techniques, the effects of all the other planets contribute an additional 532 arc seconds per century to the precession. Combined with the precession of our equinox reference line, this accounts for 5557 arc seconds per century, which is close to the observed value of 5600, but still short by 43 arc seconds per century. It's the 43 arc seconds per century that relativity deals with.

I've added a topic request based on this article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-insights-topic-request.812096/#post-5100075

Very excited for the modeling of Mercury's movements! Awesome article. In my program I have gravitational perturbations between planets so the orbits are slightly different.

GeorgeDishman said:
I've added a topic request based on this article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-insights-topic-request.812096/#post-5100075
WRT to your topic request, I am not sure I have the right resources to pull it off, but it would be fun to try.

I have put an image up at http://www.animatedphysics.com/gravity_waves.jpg to clarify a couple of questions.

1. when 2 bodies rotate, gravitational waves on the equator are either plus or cross polarized, but I am not sure which and do they vary over time?
2. there would be no gravitational wave when looking straight up or down from the rotating objects?
3. at say a 45 degree angle up, we would see the same type of wave that you would see on the equator, but they would be less intense, but by how much?

I think knowing the answers to these questions would help considerably in my understanding.

Thanks for the comment.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
edguy99 said:
WRT to your topic request, I am not sure I have the right resources to pull it off, but it would be fun to try.

I have put an image up at http://www.animatedphysics.com/gravity_waves.jpg to clarify a couple of questions.

1. when 2 bodies rotate, gravitational waves on the equator are either plus or cross polarized, but I am not sure which and do they vary over time?
2. there would be no gravitational wave when looking straight up or down from the rotating objects?
3. at say a 45 degree angle up, we would see the same type of wave that you would see on the equator, but they would be less intense, but by how much?

I think knowing the answers to these questions would help considerably in my understanding.

Thanks for the comment.

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I was wondering too. I would also add another question about the distortion along the 'equator'. Presumably at opposing points there would be a maximum stretch while simultaneously at 90 degrees round from those there would be a maximum compression. However, that suggests to me that at 45 degrees 'longitude' from those points, there should be no compression or stretch but a significant sideways displacement. That isn't mentioned in any of the descriptions I've seen of the nature of gravitational waves. Similarly at 45 degrees 'up' latitude that you mention, there would appear to be an alternating translation away from and towards the pole as well as compression and stretching. The whole thing seems a lot more complex than the simple plane wave version shown on Wikipedia and elsewhere and would be very informative.

Thanks for taking the time to think about the idea, it is appreciated, and sorry for taking so long to reply, I'll need to see if I can switch on email notifications.
best regards
George

Related to Gravity animation: lessons learned - comments

1. How does gravity affect animation?

Gravity affects animation by providing a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. This force is what gives animations a sense of weight and realism.

2. Can gravity be animated?

No, gravity itself cannot be animated as it is a natural force that is always present. However, animators can simulate the effects of gravity in their animations by using keyframes and manipulating the movement of objects.

3. What are some common mistakes when animating gravity?

Some common mistakes when animating gravity include not considering the weight and mass of objects, inconsistent acceleration and deceleration, and unrealistic movements that do not follow the laws of physics.

4. How can animators make their gravity animations more realistic?

To make gravity animations more realistic, animators should study and understand the principles of physics, such as gravity and motion. They should also pay attention to details like timing, weight, and trajectory to create more believable movements.

5. Are there any software or tools that can help with animating gravity?

Yes, there are many software and tools available that can assist with animating gravity, such as physics simulation engines and plugins for animation software. These tools can help accurately simulate and control the effects of gravity in animations.