Animating Black holes and Singularities - Comments

In summary: The mass of the emitting body is causing the inertia (mass and momentum) to be transferred to the absorbing body. The analogy is that the emitting body is the source and the absorbing body is the sink.
edguy99
Gold Member
edguy99 submitted a new PF Insights post

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/animating-black-holes-singularities-infinite-force-gravity/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/graviytanimation-80x80.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/animating-black-holes-singularities-infinite-force-gravity/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you meant your statements about elastic collisions and inelastic collisions to be just special cases that you are using or if you think that they are correct general definitions, but just to be clear, as general definitions, your statements are both wrong so if you intend them to be a special case, you should probably edit to state that.

is the black hole really exist?

Sorry if you covered this in a previous post which I missed, but I am a little confused about the nature of these animations : are they simulating an approximation of GR, or a different system which displays qualitative analogies with GR ?
Either is interesting, but i would be helpful if you could clarify this point, and if it is an approximation of GR, maybe explain a bit more about how your equations relate to those of GR or where the approximation is expected to be valid.
Thanks

Likes Ben Niehoff
Pacifique said:
is the black hole really exist?
You bet they do. We see stuff fall into them and we can detect their gravity pull on other objects.

In response to the question by wabbit, "are they simulating an approximation of GR, or an analogy with GR?"

Good question, I would say a combination.

WRT use of the distance cubed factor to produce precession, this is an approximation. But it sure works well, enabling orbits with a precession rate as fast as their orbit rate. It is required to give the animation the curve into the center. If you don't use the cubed factor, you end up with an ellipse. As to how it relates to GR, I am guessing an accurate GR equation would have a cubed factor, maybe a forth and so on, each of which would have a smaller effect.

WRT to inertia between emitting and absorbing bodies, this to me is a qualitative analogy with GR.

Related to Animating Black holes and Singularities - Comments

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How do you animate a black hole?

Animating a black hole involves using computer software to create a visual representation of a black hole and its surrounding environment. This can be done by using mathematical equations and simulations.

3. What are singularities?

Singularities are points in space where the laws of physics break down and our current understanding of the universe cannot explain what is happening. In the context of black holes, singularities refer to the center of a black hole where the gravitational pull is infinite.

4. Can we see a black hole or singularity in real life?

No, we cannot directly see a black hole or singularity as they do not emit or reflect light. However, we can observe their effects on surrounding matter and light, which can help us infer their presence.

5. What is the importance of animating black holes and singularities?

Animating black holes and singularities allows us to visualize and understand these complex and mysterious astronomical phenomena. It also helps us test and refine our current theories and models of the universe.