Gravitational waves in warm inflation

In summary, tensor perturbations do not couple strongly to the thermal background due to the fact that twisting forces have no effect on radiation, which is the main component of the thermal background. This is because low-viscosity fluids do not resist shear forces, but instead flow, which prevents the buildup of a shear force. This information can be found in the paper "Tensor Perturbations" on page 5.
shinobi20
https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0006077v2.pdf

page 5. Tensor Perturbations

"Tensor perturbations do not couple strongly to the thermal background and so gravitational waves are only generated by quantum fluctuations, as in standard supercooled inflation".

Why? Tensor perturbations are created by inflation but why don't they couple strongly to the thermal background?

Space news on Phys.org
From what I recall, it's because twisting forces have no effect on radiation. This kind of thing can interact with solid objects, but not fluids.

Chalnoth said:
From what I recall, it's because twisting forces have no effect on radiation. This kind of thing can interact with solid objects, but not fluids.
Why is that twisting forces have no effect on radiation? Do you have any resources that I can look into?

shinobi20 said:
Why is that twisting forces have no effect on radiation? Do you have any resources that I can look into?
I think it's because low-viscocity fluids don't resist shear (twisting) forces: instead of building up a shear force, they flow.

Related to Gravitational waves in warm inflation

1. What are gravitational waves in warm inflation?

Gravitational waves in warm inflation are a phenomenon predicted by the theory of warm inflation, which is a modification of the standard inflationary theory. They are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are produced during the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages of the Big Bang.

2. How are gravitational waves in warm inflation different from those in standard inflation?

In warm inflation, the universe is expanding at a slower rate than in standard inflation, which leads to a lower energy density. This results in a smaller production of gravitational waves compared to standard inflation. Additionally, gravitational waves in warm inflation are produced from quantum fluctuations in the inflaton field, rather than from cosmic inflationary expansion.

3. Can gravitational waves in warm inflation be detected?

Yes, it is possible to detect gravitational waves in warm inflation. However, due to their lower energy density, they are much harder to detect compared to those produced in standard inflation. Currently, scientists are using specialized detectors, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), to search for these faint signals.

4. What are the implications of detecting gravitational waves in warm inflation?

If gravitational waves in warm inflation are detected, it would provide strong evidence for the theory of warm inflation and could potentially rule out other theories of the early universe. It would also give us a better understanding of the fundamental forces and processes that govern the universe and its evolution.

5. Are there any other potential benefits of studying gravitational waves in warm inflation?

Studying gravitational waves in warm inflation could also provide insights into other areas of physics, such as the properties of gravity and the nature of the inflaton field. It could also help us better understand the origin of the universe and its ultimate fate.