VSl as an alternative to cosmic inflation

In summary, the article presents a model suggesting that the speed of light could be slightly different in the very early universe, which would allow for certain cosmological problems to be solved. There are some immediate questions that come to mind, and the theory would need to be tested to see if it matches existing observations.
windy miller
It has been proposed that a varying speed of light can resolve certain cosmological problems thought to be solved by cosmic inflation. An example is this paper here by Albrecht and Magueijo:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9811018.pdf
and this paper by Moffat
https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9211020
I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of this approach.

Space news on Phys.org
I haven't looked into it in detail, but I actually talked with Andy about this very model back when I was a grad student (~2006 or so). His conclusion at the time was that he felt the model just wasn't very useful and wasn't interested in working on it further. At the time, I took that to mean that he felt the idea both unlikely and didn't seem to offer room for interesting new theoretical ideas.

My personal feeling for this kind of model is that it's really, really difficult to reconcile its full implications. It's such a radical change to how we understand basic physics that it would change everything. It would require coming up with both a new theory of gravity and a new theory of quantum mechanics which allowed for the possibility of a variable speed of light. And then we'd have to go back and make sure that the new, modified models matched with existing observations. This is a monumental task.

Likes windy miller
kimbyd said:
I haven't looked into it in detail, but I actually talked with Andy about this very model back when I was a grad student (~2006 or so). His conclusion at the time was that he felt the model just wasn't very useful and wasn't interested in working on it further. At the time, I took that to mean that he felt the idea both unlikely and didn't seem to offer room for interesting new theoretical ideas.

My personal feeling for this kind of model is that it's really, really difficult to reconcile its full implications. It's such a radical change to how we understand basic physics that it would change everything. It would require coming up with both a new theory of gravity and a new theory of quantum mechanics which allowed for the possibility of a variable speed of light. And then we'd have to go back and make sure that the new, modified models matched with existing observations. This is a monumental task.
Thank you for your reply.Im wondering if it could be embedded into Horava gravity? as on the wikipedia page it says: "Also, the speed of light goes to infinity at high energies." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hořava–Lifshitz_gravity

I don't think it could be embedded into it. But I could imagine somebody trying to estimate the past behavior of our universe using Hořava–Lifshitz gravity, and it's conceivable it would show behavior that is sort-of similar to the older VSL models.

The simple concept would be that in the very early universe, plasma temperatures would have been high enough that the effective speed of light would have been higher than its current value. There are some immediate questions that come to mind with this idea:
1) The speed of light would be particle-specific. What would it mean for the expansion with many particles of different energies, each behaving as if there were a different speed of light?
2) How would the changing speed of light impact temperature? Would the temperature still monotonically increase when looking backward in time, or would it level off at some finite temperature?
3) Does the theory predict a nearly scale-invariant spectrum of primordial density perturbations? Current measurements of the cosmic microwave background provide a very precise picture of the statistical properties of the density variations in the early universe, and any competing theory will have to match these observations.

Likes windy miller

Related to VSl as an alternative to cosmic inflation

1. What is VSl and how is it different from cosmic inflation?

VSl (Variable Speed of Light) is a theory that proposes the speed of light in the early universe was much faster than its current value, contrary to the assumption made in cosmic inflation theory. This change in the speed of light has implications for the expansion rate of the universe and the formation of structures.

2. What evidence supports VSl as a viable alternative to cosmic inflation?

There is some observational evidence that supports the VSl theory, such as the alignment of the cosmic microwave background radiation with large-scale structures in the universe. Additionally, VSl theory can also explain certain anomalies in the cosmic microwave background that are not accounted for by the inflationary theory.

3. What are the main criticisms of VSl as an alternative to cosmic inflation?

One of the main criticisms of VSl theory is that it requires a fine-tuning of the speed of light in the early universe to match the current observations. This is seen as a less elegant solution compared to the simplicity of cosmic inflation theory. Additionally, VSl theory has not yet been able to provide a complete explanation for the origin of the initial conditions of the universe.

4. How does VSl theory impact our understanding of the early universe?

VSl theory challenges the widely accepted idea of cosmic inflation and offers a different perspective on the early universe. If proven to be true, it would change the current understanding of the expansion rate of the universe and the formation of structures. It would also have implications for other cosmological models and theories.

5. What ongoing research is being conducted on VSl as an alternative to cosmic inflation?

There is a significant amount of ongoing research and debate on VSl theory as an alternative to cosmic inflation. Scientists are conducting further observations and experiments to gather more evidence and test the predictions of the theory. Additionally, there are efforts to develop more comprehensive versions of the theory that can address its criticisms and provide a more complete explanation of the early universe.