Gravitational Potential Energy of a planet

In summary, a 2.4 kg space probe is to be launched from the surface of the hypothetical planet Zero with an initial energy of 7.4 x 10^7 J. To calculate the kinetic energy of the probe when it is 4.8 x 10^6 m from the center of Zero, the equation E = KE + U is used. Using the equation for gravitational potential energy, U = -GMm/r, the value of G = 6.67 x 10^-11 is used and the radius r is the distance from the center of Zero to the probe. For part (b), the maximum distance of 8.9 x 10^6 m is given and the initial kinetic energy
sophzilla
I'd be grateful if someone can help me with this problem -

Zero, a hypothetical planet, has a mass of 4.4 × 10^23 kg, a radius of 3.2 × 10^6 m, and no atmosphere. A 2.4 kg space probe is to be launched vertically from its surface. (a) If the probe is launched with an initial energy of 7.4 × 10^7 J, what will be its kinetic energy when it is 4.8 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero? (b) If the probe is to achieve a maximum distance of 8.9 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero, with what initial kinetic energy must it be launched from the surface of Zero?

I started out by using the equation for energy which is E = KE + U (kinetic energy plus potential energy).

So I got 7.4x10^7 = KE + (mGR). But I have 2 main problems: one is, do I use G = 6.67x10^-11? The second question is, I know there is something I have to do with the radius, but I don't exactly know what. Do I do mass of probe/R? I did that but still got the answer wrong...I know I'm doing something wrong with the radius.

Thanks a lot.

*If I get part a, I'm sure I can get the second part by myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
sophzilla said:
I'd be grateful if someone can help me with this problem -

Zero, a hypothetical planet, has a mass of 4.4 × 10^23 kg, a radius of 3.2 × 10^6 m, and no atmosphere. A 2.4 kg space probe is to be launched vertically from its surface. (a) If the probe is launched with an initial energy of 7.4 × 10^7 J, what will be its kinetic energy when it is 4.8 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero? (b) If the probe is to achieve a maximum distance of 8.9 × 10^6 m from the center of Zero, with what initial kinetic energy must it be launched from the surface of Zero?

I started out by using the equation for energy which is E = KE + U (kinetic energy plus potential energy).

So I got 7.4x10^7 = KE + (mGR). But I have 2 main problems: one is, do I use G = 6.67E^-11? The second question is, I know there is something I have to do with the radius, but I don't exactly know what. Do I do mass of probe/R? I did that but still got the answer wrong...I know I'm doing something wrong with the radius.

Thanks a lot.

*If I get part a, I'm sure I can get the second part by myself.

i think by G you mean g which is the gravitational field strength or the acceleration due to gravity, in Earth's case it is [tex]9.81ms^{-2}[/tex]

also, the gravitational potential energy is [tex]V=\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

because the potential decreases with 1/r. M is the mass of the Earth and m is the mass of the probe in this case G is [tex]6.67x10^{-11}[/tex]

hope this helps

newo

PS G=6.67x^-11 the [tex]x[/tex] was meant to be a multiplication sign sorry.

Thanks for the gravitational potential energy equation.

Yet I'm still confused about what to use for r:

1494680.jpg

I don't know what the new radius would be. Does the height of the rocket matter? :frown:

In the equation for gravitational potential energy, r is the distance of the probe to the center of the planet:
[tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
(note the minus sign)

For some reason I'm not getting the right answer (I got part B though, for some unknown freaky psychotic reason).

I did: E = KE - GMm/R which became:

7.4 × 10E7J = KE - (6.67E-11)(4.4 × 10E23kg)(2.4kg)/4.8 × 10E6m

Then got the KE, which was the wrong answer.

I'm still thinking I have to do something with the radius. :frown:

You need to consider the change in potential energy as it moves from its initial to its final position.

got it, thanks

Doc Al said:
In the equation for gravitational potential energy, r is the distance of the probe to the center of the planet:
[tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
(note the minus sign)

oooops yeah i forgot that. lol

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy of a planet

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to move or be moved by the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated for a planet?

The gravitational potential energy of a planet is calculated by multiplying the mass of the planet by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the object above the planet's surface.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a planet?

The gravitational potential energy of a planet is affected by the mass of the planet, the distance between the object and the planet's center of mass, and the acceleration due to gravity on the planet's surface.

4. How does gravitational potential energy change as an object moves closer or farther away from a planet?

As an object moves closer to a planet, its gravitational potential energy increases. Conversely, as it moves farther away, its gravitational potential energy decreases.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and gravitational force on a planet?

Gravitational potential energy and gravitational force are directly related. As the gravitational potential energy of an object increases, so does the force of gravity acting on it. This means that the object will feel a stronger pull towards the planet's center of mass.