Gravitational Formulas for Solving Energy-Based Questions

You can double-check it by working the problem backwards, starting with the given escape velocity in part (b) and using the 3.0 x 10^23 kg estimate to determine the radius at which that escape velocity is attained. You should find that the radius you get is 6.0 x 10^6 m, as it should be.In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving escape velocity and determining the mass of a planet using energy conservation. The correct method is to use the formula ##\xi = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{GM}{r}##, which is a constant over the entire trajectory. The answer for part c is 3 x
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

The problem is attached

Homework Equations

Energy, gravitational formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b, the answer is 2km s^-1
If it can escape, KE-PE(energy traveled from infinity to R)=0
KE = PE
mv^2 /2 = GMm/R
v^2/2=GM/R..(1)

I tried to find GM by using the information provided
mv^2 /R = GMm /R^2
v^2/2 = GM/2R...(2)

which combining (1) and (2) I get v^2/2 = v^2 which is impossible.
Please tell me what's wrong and the correct method to solve the question

Attachments

• grav.png
    grav.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

The problem is attached

Homework Equations

Energy, gravitational formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b, the answer is 2km s^-1
If it can escape, KE-PE(energy traveled from infinity to R)=0
KE = PE

It is not true if the spacecraft has kinetic energy at infinity .

Clara Chung said:
mv^2 /2 = GMm/R
v^2/2=GM/R..(1)

I tried to find GM by using the information provided
mv^2 /R = GMm /R^2
v^2/2 = GM/2R...(2)

which combining (1) and (2) I get v^2/2 = v^2 which is impossible.
Please tell me what's wrong and the correct method to solve the question
How do you intend to determine the mass of the planet? You have to define what R and v are. It seems you try to use the formula valid for a circular orbit, but this spacecraft is leaving the planet instead of orbiting around it.

Likes Clara Chung
ehild said:
It is not true if the spacecraft has kinetic energy at infinity .How do you intend to determine the mass of the planet? You have to define what R and v are. It seems you try to use the formula valid for a circular orbit, but this spacecraft is leaving the planet instead of orbiting around it.
then what formula should I use?

Clara Chung said:
then what formula should I use?
I'm not sure this will work but here's what I think..
You can first plot the graph of v vs r on a graph paper. Draw a smooth curve. At (r=1, v=6.635), draw a tangent to that curve whose slope will be dv/dr.
Now,
deceleration=dv/dt=(dv/dr)*(dr/dt)=v*dv/dr..
You can know v, r and dv/dr at every point on the graph.
You can equate the deceleration obtained from graph to GM/r2 and get M.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
Hello,

I have searched a little bit about the topic of escape velocity and I figured the solution
I will give you an example
If you have a road that is 8 meters tall and you know that a section from the end to a point in that road is 5 meters tall. How far is the point from the starting point of the road? You just have to do subtraction.

Okay so If G M m /r gives you potential from a point to infinity and you take another (r value) above the first one you took and substract the two what do you get?

Now use energy conservation using velocities and find out GM.

Once you find that out we can continue.

Likes Clara Chung
Look at energy conservation. The total specific mechanical energy (that is, the energy per unit mass of the object in orbit) is the sum of the specific kinetic and potential energy at any instant. For a body in a free-fall trajectory of any kind (such as this spacecraft is) this value is a constant.

In particular: ##\xi = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{GM}{r}## is a constant over the whole trajectory.

You should be able to use this along with the given data to solve for both ##\xi## and GM.

Likes Biker and Clara Chung
Thanks, I can find the answer of part a by using both methods.
The answer of part c is 6 x 10^23 kg, but when I use U^2/2 - GM/R =V^2/2, I found out 3 x 10^23 kg

Clara Chung said:
Thanks, I can find the answer of part a by using both methods.
The answer of part c is 6 x 10^23 kg, but when I use U^2/2 - GM/R =V^2/2, I found out 3 x 10^23 kg
Your answer (3.0 x 10^23 kg) looks good to me. Perhaps there's an error in the given answer key.

Likes Clara Chung

Related to Gravitational Formulas for Solving Energy-Based Questions

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another. It is the force responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for objects falling to the ground.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the object, the more gravitational force it exerts on other objects. This force decreases as the distance between objects increases.

3. What is the difference between gravity and gravitational force?

Gravity refers to the natural phenomenon of objects being attracted to one another, while gravitational force is the specific amount of force that is exerted between two objects due to their mass and distance.

4. How was gravity discovered?

Gravity was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed the falling of objects and developed the laws of motion and universal gravitation, which explained the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring ways to better understand gravity and its effects on the universe.