In summary, the question is asking for the maximum height above the surface of the Earth that a projectile fired with an initial speed of 11.4 km/s will reach, neglecting air drag. Using the conservation of energy equation and assuming that the potential energy tends to zero as the height increases, the final velocity will tend to a value of 2178.762 m/s and the maximum height will tend to infinity. This means that the object will never stop and will continue to move away from the Earth, unless its speed is exactly equal to the escape velocity, in which case it will eventually stop at an infinite distance. If the specific mechanical energy is negative, the object will never escape and will fall back to Earth at some finite distance.
giantf

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired vertically from the Earth's surface with an initial speed of 11.4 km/s. Neglecting air drag, how far (in meters) above the surface of the Earth will it go?

Homework Equations

(1/2)mv^2
-GmM/R

The Attempt at a Solution

0083083ec8.png

KEi+PEi = KEf+PEf
(1/2)mv^2 - GmM/R = -GmM/(R+h)
R+h = -(GM)/((1/2)v^2-GM/R)
h = -(GM)/((1/2)v^2-GM/R) - R
and plugging everything in, I got -1.744x10^8
So I tried using kinetic and potential energy to solve for h, but keep getting a negative number. Am I doing this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about the implications of the sign of the total mechanical energy value?

Try this in your conservation of energy equation: Rather than assuming that the final KE goes to zero, suppose that the value of h grows large enough that the PE tends to zero. What value does that yield for the final KE?

gneill said:
Have you learned about the implications of the sign of the total mechanical energy value?

Try this in your conservation of energy equation: Rather than assuming that the final KE goes to zero, suppose that the value of h grows large enough that the PE tends to zero. What value does that yield for the final KE?
I don't think we've learned about that yet, and how would I leave final KE in? I don't think I'm supposed to find the final velocity

giantf said:
I don't think we've learned about that yet, and how would I leave final KE in? I don't think I'm supposed to find the final velocity
The idea is to investigate another possible scenario.

When you set the final KE to zero you are making the assumption that the object will eventually slow to zero before falling back. What if the velocity never never reaches zero? What will be the maximum height then? So instead of assuming that the KE goes to zero, assume that the PE goes to zero instead. How will your equation look?

gneill said:
The idea is to investigate another possible scenario.

When you set the final KE to zero you are making the assumption that the object will eventually slow to zero before falling back. What if the velocity never never reaches zero? What will be the maximum height then? So instead of assuming that the KE goes to zero, assume that the PE goes to zero instead. How will your equation look?
would have
(1/2)(11400^2)-((6.67*10^-11)(5.98*10^24))/(6.371*10^6)=(1/2)vf^2
which would make vf = 2178.762
but I don't see where I can get the h variable from if i set potential final energy to zero

giantf said:
would have
(1/2)(11400^2)-((6.67*10^-11)(5.98*10^24))/(6.371*10^6)=(1/2)vf^2
which would make vf = 2178.762
Good.
but I don't see where I can get the h variable from if i set potential final energy to zero
Well, if the velocity never, ever, goes to zero, what can you say about h?

gneill said:
Good.

Well, if the velocity never, ever, goes to zero, what can you say about h?
It never stops, infinity? but the question is looking for a specific number

giantf said:
It never stops, infinity? but the question is looking for a specific number
Right, it never stops. There's no specific (finite) value for h. h tends to infinity. That's the best answer you can give.

Some things to investigate:
Look up the concept of escape velocity. You should be able to find or compute a value for the escape velocity from the surface of the Earth. Compare it to your given value for the initial velocity.

Compute the specific mechanical energy for the object: That's your energy formula without the mass of the object in question so that you end up with the units joules per kg: ##ξ = \frac{v_i^2}{2} - \frac{GM_e}{r_o}##. There are three cases:

1) If ξ is negative then the object is "bound": it will never escape. Its speed will eventually reach zero at some finite distance then fall back to Earth.

2) If ξ is precisely zero it has exactly escape velocity. Its speed will never reach exactly zero, but it will approach zero in the limit. Again, it will never fall back and the "final" distance is infinity.

3) If ξ is a positive value then again the object will escape, and moreover, its velocity will approach some value greater than zero as its distance goes to infinity (this "final" velocity is sometimes called the excess velocity).

gneill said:
Right, it never stops. There's no specific (finite) value for h. h tends to infinity. That's the best answer you can give.

Some things to investigate:
Look up the concept of escape velocity. You should be able to find or compute a value for the escape velocity from the surface of the Earth. Compare it to your given value for the initial velocity.

Compute the specific mechanical energy for the object: That's your energy formula without the mass of the object in question so that you end up with the units joules per kg: ##ξ = \frac{v_i^2}{2} - \frac{GM_e}{r_o}##. There are three cases:

1) If ξ is negative then the object is "bound": it will never escape. Its speed will eventually reach zero at some finite distance then fall back to Earth.

2) If ξ is precisely zero it has exactly escape velocity. Its speed will never reach exactly zero, but it will approach zero in the limit. Again, it will never fall back and the "final" distance is infinity.

3) If ξ is a positive value then again the object will escape, and moreover, its velocity will approach some value greater than zero as its distance goes to infinity (this "final" velocity is sometimes called the excess velocity).
so i did sqrt(2GM/R) and plugged into v12 and got

ξ = 63816956.64

giantf said:
so i did sqrt(2GM/R) and plugged into v12 and got

ξ = 63816956.64
You need to include the potential energy, too.

gneill said:
gneill said:
got 99716437393501.805

giantf said:
got 99716437393501.805
Okay, first, it's a bit silly to quote so many digits. Use exponential notation when the numbers go over 103.
Second, what calculation did you do to include the PE? If you started with escape velocity I would expect your ξ to end up at or very close to zero.

gneill said:
Okay, first, it's a bit silly to quote so many digits. Use exponential notation when the numbers go over 103.
Second, what calculation did you do to include the PE? If you started with escape velocity I would expect your ξ to end up at or very close to zero.
gneill said:
I used the ξ equation and plugged the escape velocity in vf2

giantf said:
I used the ξ equation and plugged the escape velocity in vf2
But there's no ##v_f## in:

##ξ = \frac{v_i^2}{2} - \frac{GM_e}{r_i}##

gneill said:
But there's no ##v_f## in:

##ξ = \frac{v_i^2}{2} - \frac{GM_e}{r_i}##
i meant V initial

giantf said:
i meant V initial
Something is amiss. Can you write out the values you're using for each of the variables?

gneill said:
Something is amiss. Can you write out the values you're using for each of the variables?
ξ=(sqrt(2(6.67*10-11 * 5.98*1024))^2/2 - (6.67*10-11 * 5.98*1024)/6.371*106

giantf said:
ξ=(sqrt(2(6.67*10-11 * 5.98*1024))^2/2 - (6.67*10-11 * 5.98*1024)/6.371*106
You forgot to divide by R in the first term. The escape velocity is given by

##v_{esc} = \sqrt{\frac{2 G M}{R}}##

gneill said:
You forgot to divide by R in the first term. The escape velocity is given by

##v_{esc} = \sqrt{\frac{2 G M}{R}}##
i got -6.26*10^7

giantf said:
i got -6.26*10^7
actually nvm forgot to square it, i got 0

Likes gneill
giantf said:
but it's not accepting it as my answer, it's looking for a height

giantf said:
If you'd done it symbolically you could have avoided a lot of calculator button pushing:

##ξ = \frac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{\frac{2 G M}{R}}\right)^2 - \frac{G M}{R}##

##ξ = \frac{1}{2}\frac{2 G M}{R} - \frac{G M}{R}##

##ξ = \frac{G M}{R} - \frac{G M}{R}##

##ξ = 0##

giantf said:
but it's not accepting it as my answer, it's looking for a height
Of course. Your launch speed is greater than the escape velocity. So there is no maximum height: it's infinite. I thought you were simply looking to check the assertion that the mechanical energy is zero when the launch speed is the escape velocity. I didn't realize that you were still looking for some finite value for h. There isn't one for the given initial speed.

If the system is expecting a finite value then either the question is flawed (they gave you an inappropriate initial velocity) or there must be some way to enter "infinity" as a response. Can you verify that the initial velocity is 11.4 km/s?

gneill said:
Of course. Your launch speed is greater than the escape velocity. So there is no maximum height: it's infinite. I thought you were simply looking to check the assertion that the mechanical energy is zero when the launch speed is the escape velocity. I didn't realize that you were still looking for some finite value for h. There isn't one for the given initial speed.

If the system is expecting a finite value then either the question is flawed (they gave you an inappropriate initial velocity) or there must be some way to enter "infinity" as a response. Can you verify that the initial velocity is 11.4 km/s?
c9c33cfd97.png

The hint for the problem was " Kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy. Don't forget to subtract the radius of the Earth from your final distance to determine the final distance above the surface of the earth."
I thought I was doing it right, as my original answer did subtract the radius

giantf said:
View attachment 197615
The hint for the problem was " Kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy. Don't forget to subtract the radius of the Earth from your final distance to determine the final distance above the surface of the earth."
I thought I was doing it right, as my original answer did subtract the radius
Your approach was fine. The problem is that question is flawed. You should report it to your instructor.

Likes giantf
gneill said:
Your approach was fine. The problem is that question is flawed. You should report it to your instructor.
thanks for everything, it was a confusing one

Related to Stuck on projectile motion problem using gravitational force

1. How do I determine the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be determined by using the equation v0=√(g*d*sinθ), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s2), d is the horizontal distance traveled, and θ is the launch angle.

2. How do I calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated by using the equation h = (v0sinθ)2/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, and θ is the launch angle.

3. What is the difference between range and horizontal distance in projectile motion?

Range refers to the total distance traveled by a projectile, including the vertical and horizontal components. Horizontal distance, on the other hand, only measures the distance traveled horizontally by the projectile.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory and flight of a projectile by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its expected path. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the projectile.

5. Can I use the same equations for projectile motion on different planets?

No, the equations for projectile motion using gravitational force are specific to Earth's gravitational acceleration. On other planets with different gravitational accelerations, the equations would need to be adjusted accordingly.