Gravitational Force between two Rods of Mass M and Length L

So, start by identifying what you know about the problem. What is the force of gravity between two uniform rods? What is double integration? Can you draw a diagram to help visualize the problem? Once you have that information, you can start to work on solving the problem. Good luck!
Harshwardhan
Find the Force of Gravitation between two Uniform Rods of Mass M and Length L.
I heard my prof say that we have to do double integration to solve this.
Please explain the above step and step with Diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
Harshwardhan said:
Find the Force of Gravitation between two Uniform Rods of Mass M and Length L.
I heard my prof say that we have to do double integration to solve this.
Please explain the above step and step with Diagram

:welcome:

We don't do your homework for you here. You can post your homework in the homework section using the template. This includes doing as much of the work as you can yourself.

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two rods?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two rods of mass M and length L is F = (G * M1 * M2) / d2, where G is the universal gravitational constant and d is the distance between the two rods.

2. How does the mass of the rods affect the gravitational force between them?

The greater the mass of the two rods, the greater the gravitational force between them. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the objects involved.

3. What is the role of distance in the gravitational force between two rods?

The distance between the two rods plays a crucial role in determining the gravitational force between them. As the distance increases, the force of gravity decreases exponentially according to the inverse square law.

4. Can the length of the rods affect the gravitational force between them?

Yes, the length of the rods can affect the gravitational force between them. Longer rods will have a greater gravitational force between them compared to shorter rods with the same mass due to their larger surface area and increased distance between their centers of mass.

5. Is there a maximum distance at which the gravitational force between two rods becomes negligible?

According to the inverse square law, the gravitational force between two rods becomes negligible as the distance between them approaches infinity. However, this distance can be affected by the masses and lengths of the rods involved.