Gravitational Field of a Uniform Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational field due to a thin, uniform rod of mass M and length L centered at the origin and lying along the x axis. The author explains that the process to integrate is to add up all the little contributions from the chunks at different distances from a point and that r should vary between Xp minus L/2 and Xp plus L/2. The author also clarifies that the result should not eliminate L in the denominator. The conversation concludes with the importance of having both integration and differentiation skills in physics.
nayo.666

Homework Statement

A thin uniform rod of mass M and length L is centered at the origin and lies along
the x axis. Find the gravitational field due to the rod at all points on the x-axis in the
region
Picture adjunct

Homework Equations

My two question are:
Why r is'not the difference between Xp and L/2 (although that's the conclusion) but the diference between Xp and Xs?
What's the process to integrate the function ? i cannot find it

The Attempt at a Solution

Solutions adjunct

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 826
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xp - L/2 is a fixed number. The idea is to let r vary between Xp minus L/2 and Xp plus L/2 and to add up the contributions from all the dm on the way; in other words: to integrate.

The process to integrate is to add up all the little contributions dg from all the little chunks dm that are at distance r from p, with r varying from Xp - L/2 to Xp + L/2

But now I've said the same thing twice.

A fixed number, thank you i can live with that, but i wasn't referring to the meaning of integration but to which method i can use, i cannot get to the same result, again thank you very much (if i have to go to the mathematics section, I am sorry, its my first day).

Last edited:
Welcome to PF ! :)
If you say you can't get to the same result, you'll have to post some of your own work: the textbook pictures show the situation and the steps taken to get to ##\vec g##. Where on the way does it become obscure to you ?

And I did try to answer your question "Why r is'not the difference between Xp and L/2". But to me it is so obvious from the picture that I find it hard to clarify further...

In step 5, i don't know who the author goes from the integral to the result, i have some work from the classroom but i don't know if it is correct, my integration skills are somewhat rusty. Thanks, I'm glad to find a place to solve my doubt

Attachments

• IMG_20141003_160749274.jpg
    IMG_20141003_160749274.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 595
Well, my eyesight is really letting me down. Can't distinguish much on the picture.
But I take it you can do ##\int {dy\over y^2}## and this looks pretty similar...

but that should result in -(1/y) isn't it ? and that wouldn't eliminate the L which is dividing GM (step 5), i have in those notes that the integrate should be something like

[(Xp-L/2)-(Xp+L/2)]/(Xp-L/2)^2 is this correct ? or how should it be ?

You can check if a primitive is correct by differentiating. There is no need to write out a referendum. Part (Important part !) of physics skills is integration skills; part of integration skills (Important part !) is differentiating skills. You need them, so the investment is well worth it (and then you don't have to ask 'is this correct' at every occasion).

You will probably find that your primitive 1/(xp-xs) was correct, but what you then did with it [(Xp-L/2)-(Xp+L/2)]/(Xp-L/2)^2 is not correct (and it also doesn't correspond with what the author gets in the denominator).

Related to Gravitational Field of a Uniform Rod

What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass.

What is a uniform rod?

A uniform rod is a long, thin object with a consistent mass distribution along its length.

How is the gravitational field of a uniform rod calculated?

The gravitational field of a uniform rod can be calculated using the formula g = G * M / L, where g is the gravitational field strength, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

What is the direction of the gravitational field of a uniform rod?

The direction of the gravitational field of a uniform rod is always towards the center of the rod, perpendicular to its length.

How does the gravitational field of a uniform rod change with distance?

The gravitational field of a uniform rod follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases in strength as the distance from the rod increases. However, this effect is only significant at close distances to the rod.