Gravitational attraction question

In summary, as the two point masses (400 kg) come together from a distance of 10^14 m to 1000 m apart, their velocity will be 7.3226*10^-6 m/s. This is equal to the velocity of each mass.
physninj

Homework Statement

two point masses (400 kg) are 10^14 m apart in deep space under no gravitational attraction besides each others. find their velocity when they are 1000 m apart.

Homework Equations

-G (m_1m_2)/r^2=F

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated the equation above plugging in the 400 kg for m1 and m2 from 10^14 to 1000. I believe this gave me the work required to bring one of them to that distance so i set it equal to ΔKE. This became (1/2)mv_f^2 because they start from rest. Now my question is whether that mass is 400 kg or 800 kg or if I'm on the right track. I just put one of the mass in that then solved and got 7.3226*10^-6. And I think that is the velocity of each of the masses. Anybody care to disagree? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
As they come together, their mutual gravitational PE is transformed into the kinetic energy of both masses.

Related to Gravitational attraction question

1. What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is a natural phenomenon in which objects with mass are drawn towards each other.

2. How does the gravitational attraction work?

Gravitational attraction is caused by the force of gravity, which is the mutual attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What factors affect gravitational attraction?

The two main factors that affect gravitational attraction are the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the gravitational attraction. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational attraction.

4. Does everything have gravitational attraction?

Yes, every object with mass has a gravitational attraction to other objects with mass. However, the strength of this attraction may be very small, depending on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

5. How is gravitational attraction related to the motion of objects?

Gravitational attraction plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in space. For example, the gravitational attraction between the Earth and the Moon keeps the Moon in its orbit around the Earth. It also plays a role in the tides and the formation of galaxies.