Gravitation Problem (Please check my work)

In summary, the question asks for the diameters of two spherical asteroids made of pure iron that are traveling side by side and exert a force of 3 lbs onto each other. Using the equations for volume and density of iron, we can calculate the radius of one sphere and then use the formula for force to find the distance between their centers. The correct answer is 12 feet, taking into account the conversion of units.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Two asteroids are traveling side by side, touching each other. They are both spherical and are made of pure iron. What must their diameters be in feet to exert a force of 3 lb's onto each other?

Homework Equations

V = 4/3*∏*r^3
density of Iron = 7.63*10^3
1 lb = 4.448N
1 foot = .3048 meters
F=Gm1m2/r^2
Vp = Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

So subtitling Vp in for m1 and m2 and then combing the terms since they are equal...
(G(p*4/3*∏*r^3)^2) / 9r^2 = F
(p*G*16*∏^2*r^6 ) / 9r^2 = F
(p*G*16*∏^2*r^4 )/ 9 = F
((F*9) / (p^2*G*16*∏^2)) ^ (1/4) = r

3 lbs = 13.344N
1 ft = .3048m

So I solved this in terms of Newtons and meters then converted the radius to feet and got 12.0 Feet and my online thing is saying it's wrong... this r would be the distance between the COM's so it would equal the diameter of one of them

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you get 9r^2 in the denominator? (I assume that you mean "/(9r^2)"). Where does the 9 come from?
Edit: Ah I see. It shouldn't be there in the first line.

What happened to the density? You used the volume as mass...
Work with units, then it is easier to spot mistakes like that.

You forgot to use mass = rho * V, where rho is the density of the iron, in your force calculation.

What did you use for G?

mfb said:
Why do you get 9r^2 in the denominator? (I assume that you mean "/(9r^2)"). Where does the 9 come from?

The 9 comes from V = (4/3)πr2 after it is squared

I actually had p in the formula when I did it, forgot to type... screw statics I thought this class was going to be a breeze but this online homework system is stupid

The mistake was forgetting that the distance between the centers of the two spheres is a given sphere's diameter, not the radius (there are two radii between the centers of the spheres: one radius for each sphere!) :smile:

[Edit: other than that your math checks out. :wink:]

Last edited:
Oh, that and don't forget that the question is asking for the answer in terms of the spheres' diameters, not their radii. So that's another thing.

Related to Gravitation Problem (Please check my work)

1. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does distance affect gravitational force?

Distance has an inverse relationship with gravitational force, meaning that as the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. This is because the force of gravity is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The mass of an object directly affects its gravitational force. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force will be. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the objects involved.

5. How does the value of the gravitational constant affect gravitational force?

The gravitational constant, represented by the letter G, is a universal constant that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. A higher value of G means a stronger gravitational force, while a lower value means a weaker force.