Gravitation and Newton's Synthesis Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the period of our orbital motion around the center of the galaxy. The relevant equation is g(m1)(Ms)/(r1^2)= m1(4pie^2r1/t1^2), where m1 is the mass of the sun and Ms is the mass of the galaxy. The conversation also clarifies that the mass of the sun and the galaxy are reversed in this scenario.
Brooke143

Homework Statement

Our sun rotates about the cneter of the galaxy (m = 4*10^41kg) at a distance of about 3*10^4 light years ( 1ly=(3*10^8m/s)*(3.16*10^7 s/y) what is the period of our orbital motion about the center of the galaxy?

Homework Equations

Okay so I believe you would use g(m1)(Ms)/(r1^2)= m1(4pie^2r1/t1^2) but i don't understand
what do i put in for ms and m1 and r1 i assume r1 is the (3*10^4) and m1 is the (m = 4*10^41kg) but then what is Ms any help would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have m1 and Ms reversed. In calculating solar orbits, Ms would be the mass of the sun in the center and m1 the mass of the planet- with the result that the mass of the planet cancels and the answer depends only on the mass of the sun.

But the sun is orbiting the center of galaxy so "m1" is now the mass of the sum, which cancels out and "Ms" is the mass of the galaxy.

Related to Gravitation and Newton's Synthesis Problem

1. What is gravitation and Newton's synthesis problem?

Gravitation is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. Newton's synthesis problem refers to the challenge that Isaac Newton faced in trying to explain the motion of celestial bodies using his theory of gravity.

2. What was the significance of Newton's synthesis problem?

Newton's synthesis problem was significant because it led to the development of the theory of universal gravitation, which revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and laid the foundation for modern physics.

3. How did Newton solve the synthesis problem?

In order to solve the synthesis problem, Newton developed the three laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. He also used mathematical equations to demonstrate the relationships between mass, distance, and gravitational force.

4. What are some of the applications of the theory of gravitation?

The theory of gravitation has many applications, including predicting the motion of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects on Earth and is essential for space travel and satellite technology.

5. Has Newton's theory of gravitation been proven wrong?

While Newton's theory of gravitation is still considered valid for most everyday situations, it has been superseded by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravitation. However, Newton's theory is still useful and widely used in many fields of science and engineering.