Graphs of Reciprocal Trigonometric Functions

In summary: Show that the length of the road is represented by the relation d = h csc x.c) Determine the length of a road that ascends a hill of height 100m at an angle of 0.3. Round your answer to the nearest tenth of a meter.In summary, we are given a road that is built up the slope of a hill with a height of h meters and an angle of inclination of x. The length of the road is d. We are asked to sketch a diagram of the situation and label all quantities, and then show that the length of the road is represented by the relation d = h csc x. Next, we need to determine the length of a road that ascends a
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

A road is built up the slope of a hill with a height of h meters and an angle of inclination of x. The length of the road is d.

a) Sketch a diagram of this situation. Label all quantities.

b) Show that the length of the road is represented by the relation d = h csc x.

c) Determine the length of a road that ascends a hill of height 100m at an angle of 0.3. Round your answer to the nearest tenth of a meter.

d) Sketch a graph of d = h csc x for a hill of height 100m and on the interval x ε [0, pi/4].

e) Interpret the meaning of the graph as x approaches 0.I'm really lost here, if anyone can point me in the right direction, or give me an idea on how to go about solving it I'd really appreciate it. Please just don't give me the answer, I really want to try and figure this out so when it comes to test time I know! ;)

Thanks in advance! This forum is a blessing as well as all the members on it who contribute so willingly!

Physics news on Phys.org
What part of this don't you understand?
A road is built up the slope of a hill with a height of h meters and an angle of inclination of x. The length of the road is d.
There's probably a triangle lurking in this description.

Related to Graphs of Reciprocal Trigonometric Functions

1. What are reciprocal trigonometric functions?

Reciprocal trigonometric functions are functions that represent the reciprocal of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant). They are denoted by adding a "-1" superscript to the corresponding basic trigonometric function (e.g. csc x represents the cosecant function).

2. How are graphs of reciprocal trigonometric functions related to their corresponding basic trigonometric functions?

The graphs of reciprocal trigonometric functions are the inverse of the graphs of their corresponding basic trigonometric functions. This means that they are mirror images of each other over the line y=x. For example, the graph of csc x is the inverse of the graph of sin x.

3. What is the domain and range of reciprocal trigonometric functions?

The domain of reciprocal trigonometric functions is the set of all real numbers except for the values where the corresponding basic trigonometric function is equal to 0. The range is also the set of all real numbers, as the reciprocal of any real number is also a real number.

4. How do you graph a reciprocal trigonometric function?

To graph a reciprocal trigonometric function, you can use the points on the graph of the corresponding basic trigonometric function and reflect them over the line y=x. You can also use the properties of the reciprocal function, such as the fact that the reciprocal of a positive number is positive and the reciprocal of a negative number is negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of reciprocal trigonometric functions?

Reciprocal trigonometric functions have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and construction. For example, in engineering, they are used to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces in structures. In physics, they are used to model the behavior of waves. In construction, they are used to determine the angles and distances of structures.