Graphing y = arcsec(e^x) and Finding Derivative: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw the graph of y = arcsec(e^x) where x > 0 and 0 < y < pi/2. The derivative is found to be 1/sqrt(e^(2x) - 1), but the graph has no minimum or maximum points. It is suggested to plot a few values and join them smoothly. The function arcsec(e^x) is defined as the inverse of secant, which is the reciprocal of cosine. An alternate method is also provided, rewriting the equation as x = -ln(cos(y)).
phospho
how can I draw y = arcsec(e^x) where x > 0 and 0 < y < pi/2

I've found the derivative which I got to be [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x} -1 }} [/itex] however, the graph doesn't seem to have any minimum or maximum points.

I don't really know how to test this about, as I don't know what arcsec(e^x) is defined as, so I'm not sure how I can sketch it without being able to test some values of x..
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi phospho! :smile:
phospho said:
I've found the derivative which I got to be [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x} -1 }} [/itex] however, the graph doesn't seem to have any minimum or maximum points.

so you know it has no bumps!

ok, then all you need is to plot a few specimen values, and join them smoothly :wink:

(it might help calculations is you rewrite it as secy = ex, or x = … ?)

I'm a bit confused as to what you are saying. arcsec is, of course, the inverse function to secant which is itself the reciprocal of cosine. If y= arcsec(x) then x= sec(y)= 1/cos(y). So cos(y)= 1/x and y= arccos(1/x). arcsec(e^x), then, is arccos(e^{-x}) and any calculator should have those functions.
For example, if x= 0, arcsec(e^x) is arccos(e^0)= arccos(1)= 0. If x= 1, arcsec(e^x)= arccos(e^{-1})= 0.9331, etc.

What you have there is [itex]\frac1{\cos(y)} = e^x[/itex], which can be re-arranged to give [itex]\cos(y) = e^{-x}[/itex] so that [itex]x = -\ln(\cos(y))[/itex] which might be easier to sketch.

got it, thank you

Related to Graphing y = arcsec(e^x) and Finding Derivative: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is the equation for graphing y = arcsec(e^x)?

The equation for graphing y = arcsec(e^x) is y = arcsec(e^x) = cos⁻¹(1/e^x).

2. How do I find the derivative for y = arcsec(e^x)?

To find the derivative for y = arcsec(e^x), you can follow these steps:

1. Use the chain rule to rewrite the equation as y = cos⁻¹(u) where u = e^x.
  2. Find the derivative of u with respect to x, which is u' = e^x.
  3. Use the derivative formula for inverse trigonometric functions, which is d/dx(cos⁻¹(u)) = -1/(√(1-u^2)) * u'.
  4. Substitute in the value of u' and simplify to get the final derivative of y = arcsec(e^x).

3. What is the domain and range of y = arcsec(e^x)?

The domain of y = arcsec(e^x) is all real numbers except for x = 0, since e^0 = 1 and the arcsec function is undefined at 1. The range is limited to values between 0 and π, since the range of the cos⁻¹ function is 0 to π.

4. How do I graph y = arcsec(e^x)?

To graph y = arcsec(e^x), you can follow these steps:

1. Choose several x-values and plug them into the equation to find the corresponding y-values.
  2. Plot these points on a graph and connect them to create a smooth curve.
  3. Include the asymptotes at x = 0 and y = π/2.
  4. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and adjust the window to see the curve more clearly.

5. What are some real-life applications of y = arcsec(e^x)?

The arcsecant function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of a pendulum or to calculate the angular displacement of a swinging object. It can also be used in signal processing to analyze signals with oscillatory behavior. In mathematics, it is used in the study of complex numbers and in solving certain differential equations.