Graphing the derivative of a graph

In summary, the conversation is about graphing the derivative of a given graph and the speaker is seeking tips and clarification on how to do so. Some tips given include determining the slope and concavity of the graph and being aware that zeros in the original graph do not necessarily correspond to zeros in the derivative.
ACLerok
one of my calc assignments asks me to graph the derivative of a graph which can be seen here: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~cjjacob/images/fifth.jpg

i already know that when there's a cusp on the graph, the derivative of that point is at zero and that slope determines how the derivative acts. can anyone enlightnem me and give me tips on how to graph this one's derivative? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, here are some tips:

1. When f(x) is increasing, f'(x)>0. When f(x) is decreasing, f'(x)<0.

2. When f(x) is concave up, f"(x)>0. When f(x) is concave down, f"(x)<0.

3. Zeros in f(x) do not generally correspond to zeros in f'(x). (You'd be surprised at how many students goof that one up).

Thanks!

Related to Graphing the derivative of a graph

What is the derivative of a graph?

The derivative of a graph is a measure of how quickly the graph is changing at a given point. It represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

Why is it important to graph the derivative of a graph?

Graphing the derivative of a graph allows us to analyze the behavior of the original graph more closely. It can help us identify critical points, extrema, and concavity, which are all important in understanding the overall shape and behavior of a function.

How do you graph the derivative of a graph?

To graph the derivative of a graph, we first need to find the derivative function. Then, we can plot the derivative function on its own graph, using the same domain as the original graph. The resulting graph will show the slope of the original graph at each point.

What does the shape of the derivative graph tell us about the original graph?

The shape of the derivative graph can tell us a lot about the behavior of the original graph. For example, when the derivative graph is positive, the original graph is increasing. When the derivative graph is negative, the original graph is decreasing. We can also use the derivative graph to identify where the original graph has critical points, extrema, and points of inflection.

Can we use the derivative graph to find the equation of the original graph?

Yes, we can use the derivative graph to find the equation of the original graph. We can integrate the derivative function to find the original function, up to a constant of integration. However, this method only works if we know the value of the original function at one point, as this allows us to determine the value of the constant of integration.