Derivation of graph of v against u

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with deriving the shape of a graph and finding the point (2f, 2f). The question is unclear but it seems to involve finding the intersection of two curves, u=v and 1/u + 1/v = 1/f. The conversation also includes a note and further explanation on how to solve the problem.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

This is the graph of v against u .
i am having problem of getting the shape of graph and getting the point (2f, 2f) . can anyone teach me how to derive it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry. i don't know how to use LATEX. it may be quite untidy if i type it using / sign for all the equation.

so , i have did it beside the graph in the photo . hopefully you guys can understand .

Attachments

• DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 976
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is a bit unclear. Is this the full problem exactly as stated?

It seems you want to find the point where the curves u=v and 1/u + 1/v = 1/f intersect. What happens if you insert the first relation into the second and solve for v?

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
The question is a bit unclear. Is this the full problem exactly as stated?

It seems you want to find the point where the curves u=v and 1/u + 1/v = 1/f intersect. What happens if you insert the first relation into the second and solve for v?

this is not a question actually. it's just a note. Can you explain further? i am actually finding v against u in my working. to get the shape of the graph. unfortunealy, i got stucked.

desmond iking said:
this is not a question actually. it's just a note. Can you explain further? i am actually finding v against u in my working. to get the shape of the graph. unfortunealy, i got stucked.

See if you can get the equation into the form ##v - A = \frac B{u-C}##

Likes 1 person
thanks , after referring to the old book, i managed to understand it.

Related to Derivation of graph of v against u

1. How do you derive the graph of v against u?

To derive the graph of v against u, you will need to follow the steps of mathematical derivation, which involves finding the derivative of the function v with respect to u. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any given point, which can be used to plot the graph.

2. What is the significance of the graph of v against u?

The graph of v against u is crucial in understanding the relationship between two variables, u and v. It shows how a change in u affects the value of v, and vice versa. This graph is commonly used in physics, particularly in kinematics and mechanics, to represent the velocity of an object over a certain time period.

3. Can the graph of v against u be used to predict future values?

Yes, the graph of v against u can be used to predict future values. By analyzing the trend of the graph, you can estimate the value of v for a particular value of u, or vice versa. However, this prediction may not always be accurate as it depends on the accuracy of the data and the assumptions made in the derivation process.

4. What are the key assumptions made in deriving the graph of v against u?

Some of the key assumptions made in deriving the graph of v against u include the assumption of a constant acceleration and the assumption of a straight-line relationship between u and v. These assumptions may not hold true in all scenarios, but are often used as simplifications to make the derivation process more manageable.

5. How can the graph of v against u be used to analyze motion?

The graph of v against u can be used to analyze motion by looking at the trend of the graph. A steep slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flat slope indicates a constant velocity. The shape of the graph can also provide information about the type of motion, such as uniform motion or motion with varying acceleration. Additionally, the area under the graph can be used to calculate the displacement of an object over a certain time period.