Graphing Sin Functions: Calculator Tips and Tricks for y=sin(c(x-d))

• Thread starter trivk96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Sin
I appreciate it.In summary, the question is about how to graph the equation y=sin c (x-d) on a TI 84 calculator, with c=28 and d=3. The conversation discusses two possible interpretations of the equation and acknowledges that there is no clear answer.
trivk96

Homework Statement

This may seem like a stupid question so i apologize.

This is the general form for the said equation: y=sin c (x-d)

c= 28
d=3

How would i enter this into my calculator (ti 84) to graph it??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y=sin (28)(x-3)
or
y=sin (28(x-d))
or something else.

Again, I apologize if this is a stupid question

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on whether you mean y=(sin(c))*(x-d) or y=sin(c*(x-d)). I suspect the latter, but that's just guess. If they just said y=sin c (x-d) that's kind of ambiguous, as you noticed. It's not a stupid question, but there's no clear answer.

Thank you

Related to Graphing Sin Functions: Calculator Tips and Tricks for y=sin(c(x-d))

1. What is the purpose of graphing sin functions?

The purpose of graphing sin functions is to visualize and understand the behavior and patterns of a sine wave. It can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, and periodic motion.

2. How do I use a calculator to graph a sin function?

To graph a sin function on a calculator, first enter the equation in the form y = sin(c(x-d)). Then, adjust the values of c and d to change the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the graph. Finally, select the appropriate window settings to display the entire graph.

3. What are some tips for using a calculator to graph a sin function?

Some tips for using a calculator to graph a sin function include selecting a suitable window size, adjusting the graphing speed to view the graph in real-time, and using the trace function to find specific points on the graph.

4. How do I interpret the values of c and d in a sin function graph?

The value of c affects the period of the graph, with a larger value resulting in a shorter period. The value of d represents the horizontal shift of the graph and can be used to adjust the starting point of the wave.

5. Can a calculator graph multiple sin functions at once?

Yes, most calculators have the capability to graph multiple sin functions at once. This can be useful for comparing and analyzing different sine waves or for creating composite graphs with multiple functions.