Graphing Rational Functions with Vertical Asymptotes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the graph of f(x) = (x^3)/(x^2-1), including identifying vertical and horizontal asymptotes and relative extrema. The solution includes finding the vertical asymptote at x = -1 and determining that the limit approaches negative infinity as x approaches -1 from the left side. The graphing calculator also confirms this result.
Glissando

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of f(x) = (x^3)/(x^2-1) showing vertical and horizontal asymptotes and relative extrema

Homework Equations

Zeroes, limits

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually figured out the question; No horizontal asymptote, max at (-sqrt(3), -3sqrt(3)/2), Dec. plateau at (0,0) and minimum at (sqrt(3), 3sqrt(3)/2) the only problem I have is with the vertical asymptote.

Vertical asymptote = + or - 1
Everything is fine until i get to:

lim -13/(-1-)2-1 = -1/0- = +infinity
x->-1-

But on my graphing calculator it shows it going towards negative infinity when it approaches -1 from the left side ):

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Glissando said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of f(x) = (x^3)/(x^2-1) showing vertical and horizontal asymptotes and relative extrema

Homework Equations

Zeroes, limits

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually figured out the question; No horizontal asymptote, max at (-sqrt(3), -3sqrt(3)/2), Dec. plateau at (0,0) and minimum at (sqrt(3), 3sqrt(3)/2) the only problem I have is with the vertical asymptote.

Vertical asymptote = + or - 1
Everything is fine until i get to:

lim -13/(-1-)2-1 = -1/0- = +infinity
x->-1-
The limit is actually negative infinity. As you already know, the numerator approaches -1, but the denominator is close to zero and positive. Since x < -1, x2 > 1, so x2 - 1 > 0.
Glissando said:
But on my graphing calculator it shows it going towards negative infinity when it approaches -1 from the left side ):

Thanks for the help!

WOW that was like BAAAAAAAAAM. Thanks fo much (:

Related to Graphing Rational Functions with Vertical Asymptotes

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph where the function approaches but does not cross. It represents the point where the function becomes infinitely large or undefined.

How do you find the vertical asymptote of a function?

To find the vertical asymptote of a function, set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting value will be the x-coordinate of the vertical asymptote.

Can a function have more than one vertical asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple vertical asymptotes if there are multiple values for which the denominator of the function equals zero.

Can a vertical asymptote be a point on the graph?

No, a vertical asymptote is a line on the graph that the function approaches but does not cross. It cannot be a point on the graph.

Why is finding the vertical asymptote important in mathematics?

Finding the vertical asymptote is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near certain values. It also allows us to identify any discontinuities in the function and determine the domain and range of the function.