Graphing Parabolas: Finding 3 Good Points

In summary, the conversation is about finding three good points to graph a parabola. The person asking the question is familiar with finding the vertex, axis of symmetry, and intercepts, but is having trouble graphing due to the variable A. The speaker suggests starting with the vertex and x-intercepts, and using the y-intercept as a guide. They also mention that if the parabola does not have real x-intercepts, additional points can be calculated. Finally, they suggest picking two points to the left and right of the vertex to make a rough sketch.
AC24
Hey guys what's up? I am new to this forum, so I am sorry if I posted in the wrong area..

Anyways, I have a question on Parabolas. I know how to find the Vertex, Axis of Symmetry, X,Y Int. and so on, but I am having trouble graphing it. My teacher said I need to find three good points to graph it, but I have no idea what she means. I mean I know how to graph it, but the A variable throws me off.. I'll give an example:

y=3(x-1)2-9
Vertex: (1,-9)
Axis of Symmetry: x=1
Width- Narrow
Direction- Up
X Int.= 1 plus/minus square root of 3
Y Int.= -6
Min: y=-9

How would you get three good points from this? Thank you so much to those that take the time to read and help!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you're asking how would you get three points from the four that you already have?

In a case like the above I'd normally start with just the vertex and the two x-intercepts to make a rough sketch, you can use the y-intercept also as guide to keep it somewhat accurate.

Remember however that you won't always have real x-intercepts, but you can always calculate as many additional points as you wish if you want to make the sketch more accurate.

All your teacher really wants is that you be able to make a quick rough (approximate) sketch of a parabola based on the vertex and few points either side of it.

Uart makes a good point, I hope you do notice that with the information you posted there are indeed 4 points.

1) the vertex ----> (1, -9)

2 and 3) the X intercepts -----> (1+sqrt(3), 0) and (1 - sqrt(3), 0)

4) the y intercept (0, -6)

You could certain use these 4.

One thing to add though, is it is possible that your parabola won't have any x-intercepts, and/or your vertex will also be one or both of your intercepts.

So one thing to do is to pick two points to the left and right of your vertex.

For simplification imagine your parabolas equation is y = 4x^2

The Vertex and all the intercepts will be the origin (0, 0). So what you could do is just pick an x value less then 0 and greater then 0 to find two new points. say x = +/-2. Plug these two x values into the original equation and solve for y. In this case you will get the points (2, 16) and (-2, 16).

Good luck with your conic sections.

Related to Graphing Parabolas: Finding 3 Good Points

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that can be represented by a quadratic equation. It is symmetrical and has a focus point and a directrix line.

2. How do I graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you need to plot at least three points on the curve. These points should be evenly spaced and should include the vertex, which is the highest or lowest point on the parabola. Once you have plotted the points, you can draw a smooth curve connecting them.

3. What are the three good points to use when graphing a parabola?

The three good points to use when graphing a parabola are the vertex, the x-intercept, and the y-intercept. These points provide important information about the shape and orientation of the parabola.

4. How do I find the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola can be found by using the formula (-b/2a, c - b^2/4a), where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form (ax^2 + bx + c). The first coordinate represents the x-value of the vertex, and the second coordinate represents the y-value of the vertex.

5. Can I use any three points on a parabola to graph it?

No, you cannot use any three points on a parabola to graph it. The three points must be chosen carefully to ensure that the graph accurately represents the shape and orientation of the parabola. The vertex, x-intercept, and y-intercept are the most commonly used points when graphing a parabola.