Graphing a piecewise function with multiple functions

In summary, the problem asks for the graph of a piecewise function f(x) with three different equations for different intervals of x. The first interval is x < 1, the second is 1 ≤ x ≤ 2, and the third is x > 2. To graph the function, you can plug in values for x that satisfy each inequality and plot the corresponding points. The left and right hand limits of the function as x approaches 1 and 2 can also be found by considering the behavior of the function at those points.
Emworthington

Homework Statement

Suppose f(x) is a piecewise function defined as follows

f(x) = 2x^2+2 ---- > x < 1
= 2x^2 - 3x ----- > 1 ≤ x ≤ 2
= 2 - (6/x) ----- > x > 2
Graph f(x) for 0 ≤ x ≤ 3Find the left and right hand limits of f(x) as x approaches 1 and as x approaches 2

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about graphing this piece wise graph. Can I plug in any number that satisfies the inequality and then graph the x and y values for each equation, and then connect the coordinates? That doesn't seem right, because I need the same x value for each function, but that doesn't seem possible for the inequalities. What numbers can I plug in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take each piece at a time..

For the first when, whenever x > 1, graph the graph 2x^2+2
Next, between 1 and 2, graph 2x^2-3x
And so on..

Related to Graphing a piecewise function with multiple functions

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by multiple sub-functions, each of which applies to a different interval or domain of the independent variable.

How do I graph a piecewise function with multiple functions?

To graph a piecewise function with multiple functions, you first need to identify the different intervals or domains for which each sub-function applies. Then, plot the points for each sub-function within its respective interval and connect them to create a piecewise graph.

What are the key features of a piecewise function graph?

The key features of a piecewise function graph include: different sub-functions for different intervals, discontinuities at the points where the sub-functions change, and possibly various types of curves or lines joining the sub-functions.

How can I determine the domain and range of a piecewise function?

The domain of a piecewise function is the set of all values that the independent variable can take on. To determine the domain, you need to identify the intervals for which each sub-function is defined. The range of a piecewise function is the set of all values that the dependent variable can take on. To determine the range, you need to analyze the behavior of each sub-function within its respective interval.

What are some real-life applications of piecewise functions?

Piecewise functions are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model real-life phenomena that exhibit different behaviors in different scenarios. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting chemical reactions, and analyzing traffic flow patterns.