Graphically solving 2X2 linear system and finding the line through 2 points

In summary, the individual needs help checking the accuracy of their answers for a system of linear equations and finding the equation of a line passing through two given points. Their answers were x = 1.55, y = -4.22 and y = -2x + 6 respectively, and they were confirmed to be correct.
drop
Basically I don't know anyone in real life that can help me with this, so I need help checking to see if my answers are correct :)

PART A
1) Using a graphing utility solve the following system of linear equations. Round your answer to the nearest hundredth.

y = -4x+2
x - 2y = 10

My answer: x = 1.55 y = -4.22

2) Find the equation of the line that passes through the points (4,-2) and (0,6)

My answer: y = -2x + 6

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Please check my answers - 1

drop said:
My answer: x = 1.55 y = -4.22
Right.

My answer: y = -2x + 6
Right.

Re: Please check my answers - 1

Thank you!

Related to Graphically solving 2X2 linear system and finding the line through 2 points

1. What is a 2X2 linear system?

A 2X2 linear system is a system of two equations with two variables that can be solved graphically. It involves finding the point of intersection between two lines.

2. How do you graphically solve a 2X2 linear system?

To graphically solve a 2X2 linear system, you first need to graph each equation on the same coordinate plane. The point of intersection between the two lines represents the solution to the system.

3. What is the importance of finding the line through 2 points?

Finding the line through 2 points is important because it can help us understand the relationship between the two points and can be used to make predictions or solve problems involving those points.

4. What are the steps for finding the line through 2 points?

The steps for finding the line through 2 points are:
1. Identify the two points on the coordinate plane.
2. Calculate the slope of the line using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).
3. Use the point-slope formula (y-y1) = m(x-x1) to find the equation of the line.
4. Simplify the equation if necessary.
5. The final equation will be in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

5. Can you solve a 2X2 linear system without graphing?

Yes, a 2X2 linear system can also be solved algebraically using methods such as substitution or elimination. However, graphing can provide a visual representation of the solution and can be helpful in understanding the problem.