Closest point on a plane to a point near the plane

In summary, to find the coordinate (x1,y1,z1) on the plane nearest to the point (xo,yo,zo), one can use the normal vector to the plane and set up parametric equations to find the point of intersection between the normal vector and the plane. The resulting equations can be solved for t, which can then be plugged back into the parametric equations to find the desired coordinate.
kairama15
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find the point on a plane that is closest to another point near the plane.
Suppose there is a 3d plane z=a*x+b*y+c.

Suppose there is a point in space near, but not on the plane. (xo, yo, zo).

What is the coordinate (x1,y1,z1) on the plane that is nearest the original point?

My attempt uses minimization but the result is blowing up into large answer. I wonder if there is an easier way to solve this that gives an elegant general solution. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a normal vector to a plane is and how to calculate it?

Consider the point to be a vector from the origin to the point call it ##P_0##

Consider the plane's normal vector ##N_0## and the point you want to find as ##P_1##

Ask yourself what multiple of the normal vector when added to the outside point vector will intersect the plane.

Yes.

The normal vector will be
<-a,-b,1> right?

I imagine this unit vector is orthogonal to the plane and should pass through both points being considered, right?

So if i know that the gradient vector is <-a,-b,1>, and i want that vector to start at (xo,yo,zo) and move towards the plane, I can set up parametric equatioms to describe this movement through 3d space.

x=xo-a*t
y=yo-b*t
z=zo+(1)*t

Since I want to determine where this parametric point crosses through the plane, I can plug each 'function of t' x y and z into x y and z in the plane's equation z=ax+by+c.

I get:
zo+t=a*(xo-a*t)+b*(yo-b*t) + c

Solving for t:
t= (a*xo+b*yo+c-zo)/(1+a^2+b^2).

I can than plug t into the parametric equations to find the point on the plane that is closest to the point (xo,yo,zo).

Example for new x coordinate:
x1 = xo - a*(a*xo+b*yo+c-zo)/(1+a^2+b^2)

Is this line of reasoning correct, and is my math correct? Thanks everyone.

The idea is correct. I haven't checked your formulas. If you have a point (outside the plane) and a direction (normal vector), then you get a straight which intersects with the plane at exactly one point. This means the point we are looking for is the point which satisfies both equations (straight and plane).

1. What is the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane?

The closest point on a plane to a point near the plane is the point on the plane that is perpendicular to the point near the plane. This means that the line connecting the two points is at a 90 degree angle to the plane.

2. How is the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane calculated?

The closest point on a plane to a point near the plane is calculated using the formula d = |ax + by + cz + d| / √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2), where (x, y, z) is the coordinates of the point near the plane, and a, b, c, and d are the coefficients of the plane's equation.

3. Can the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane be outside of the plane?

No, the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane will always lie on the plane itself. This is because the distance between the two points is measured along a line perpendicular to the plane, and the shortest distance between a point and a plane is always along a line perpendicular to the plane.

4. How does the orientation of the plane affect the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane?

The orientation of the plane does not affect the calculation of the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane. The formula used to calculate the closest point takes into account the coefficients of the plane's equation, which determine its orientation in space.

5. Is the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane unique?

Yes, the closest point on a plane to a point near the plane is unique. This is because there can only be one point on a plane that is perpendicular to a given point near the plane. If there were multiple points, then the distance between the two points would not be the shortest possible distance.