Graph Vout vs Vin of diode circuit

In summary: So here is a diagram to make it a little less abstract.In summary, when Vin is increased to 5V, the left hand diode is forward biased and drops 0.5V so vout = 2V-0.5V = 1.5V.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/bd4pyoqkt/

Make a sketch of Vout vs Vin for Vin from 0 to 5 V, assuming that both diodes have a diode drop of 0.5 V

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it, the Vout will start at 2V, since that's above the diode drop voltage, and that's what the middle battery is providing.
But as I increase Vin, it will just keep increasing Vout as the current flows directly to Vout. Why would it take the other path with the diodes?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,125
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But as I increase Vin, it will just keep increasing Vout as the current flows directly to Vout.

No that's not correct. What happens to the left diode when Vout > 2V + 0.5V

What happens to the right hand diode when Vout < 2V - 0.5V (eg when Vin is 0V).

CWatters said:
No that's not correct. What happens to the left diode when Vout > 2V + 0.5V

What happens to the right hand diode when Vout < 2V - 0.5V (eg when Vin is 0V).

Is there an equation I can look at to figure this out? This stuff makes zero sense to me, and the book is zero help for these questions.

leroyjenkens said:
Is there an equation I can look at to figure this out? This stuff makes zero sense to me, and the book is zero help for these questions.

Sure.
For a diode, i = 0, V < 0.5V
V = 0.5V, i > 0.

Ok this is how I would look at the circuit.

Lets start with Vin = 0V.

You can replaced Vin by a short circuit because Vin is an ideal voltage source (zero resistance) and ideal voltage sources can also sink current.

Since Vin = 0 is < 2V there is the possibility current may flow from the 2V source to 0V. Having established that you then look at what's in that path to confirm current will actually flow that way... In that path there is the right hand diode and a resistor in series.

So I can redraw the circuit as shown below (version on the left). I have removed the left hand diode because it is reverse biased.

You can then redraw the circuit to give that shown on the right hand side. 2V-0V= 1.5V which is greater than the 0.5V Vf of the diode. So the diode is forward biased and drops 0.5V so vout = 2V-0.5V = 1.5V

So we can draw a point on the graph at Vin=0, Vout = 1.5V.

More in a moment.

Attachments

• CCT1.png
    CCT1.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
Next I would look back at your original circuit.

If Vout was exactly 2V then no current would flow through either diode because both ends are at the same voltage. Therefore you can remove both diodes and you get this circuit below.

No current flows through the resistor so Vout = Vin = 2V.

You can draw a point on the graph at Vin = 2V and Vout = 2V.

If you think about it neither diode will conduct until Vf > 0.5V so Vout will equal Vin over the range Vout = 2V +/- 0.5V. (eg from 1.5V to 2.5V).

So you can add a straight line to the graph showing Vout=Vin over that range.

More in a moment..

Attachments

• CCT2.png
    CCT2.png
    756 bytes · Views: 669
If Vin were increased to say 5V then that is greater than 2V so there is the possibility current may flow from the 5V source to the 2V source. Having established that you then look at what's in that path to confirm current will actually flow that way... In that path there is the left hand diode and a resistor in series. The right hand diode is reverse biased and can be removed.

The circuit therefore becomes that shown below...

5V-2V is more than the 0.5V Vf of the diode so the diode is conducting and will drop 0.5V. Therefore Vout cannot go more than 0.5V above the 2V source. eg Vout cannot go over 2.5V regardless of Vin.

So you can draw a point at Vin = 5V, Vout = 2.5V.

In fact you can draw a horizontal line from the point Vin = 5V, Vout = 2.5V towards the left until it meets the Vin=Vout line you drew in step two 2.

Likewise you can also draw a horizontal line from the point you drew in step one (Vin=0, Vout =1.5) to the right until until it meets the Vin=Vout line you drew in step two 2.

Attachments

• CCT3.png
    CCT3.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 641
PS. The circuit is called a clipper. Imagine Vin was an irregular wave form that looked like a mountain range. Vout would look similar but the peaks above 2.5V and the valleys below 1.5V will be "clipped off".

I might get a slapped wrist for giving too much help but you did say this stuff makes zero sense.

Attachments

• CCT4.png
    CCT4.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 708

Related to Graph Vout vs Vin of diode circuit

1. What is the purpose of plotting Vout vs Vin in a diode circuit?

The purpose of plotting Vout vs Vin in a diode circuit is to analyze the behavior of the diode in response to changes in input voltage. It allows us to see how the output voltage is affected by variations in the input voltage, and can help us determine the characteristics and limitations of the diode.

2. How does the diode affect the shape of the Vout vs Vin curve?

The diode's characteristics, such as its forward voltage drop and reverse breakdown voltage, will dictate the shape of the Vout vs Vin curve. At low input voltages, the diode will behave as an open circuit, resulting in a flat line on the graph. As the input voltage increases, the diode will start conducting and the output voltage will follow a non-linear curve until it reaches a steady state.

3. What is the significance of the knee voltage on the Vout vs Vin curve?

The knee voltage, also known as the forward voltage drop, is the point on the Vout vs Vin curve where the diode starts to conduct significantly. It is an important parameter to consider when designing diode circuits, as it determines the minimum input voltage required for the diode to start conducting.

4. How does the diode's reverse breakdown affect the Vout vs Vin curve?

If the input voltage exceeds the diode's reverse breakdown voltage, the diode will start conducting in the opposite direction, resulting in a negative output voltage. This can be seen as a sharp drop on the Vout vs Vin curve, and it is important to stay within the diode's reverse breakdown limit to avoid damaging it.

5. What factors can affect the shape of the Vout vs Vin curve in a diode circuit?

Aside from the diode's characteristics, other factors that can affect the shape of the Vout vs Vin curve include temperature, current, and load resistance. Changes in these parameters can cause the curve to shift or become distorted, so they should be taken into consideration when analyzing the behavior of a diode circuit.