Graph Scale Confusion: Estimating Values from Plots

In summary, the conversation was about estimating values from a plot and understanding the angular scale. The plot was taken from a technical paper on results from the WMAP experiment and the specific paper and page number were provided. The colleagues discussed the angular scale and its relation to the first peak. Ultimately, the conversation was helpful in understanding the subject.
maximus123
Hello,

I have to estimate some values from a plot (shown in the attachment). The trouble is I'm not sure how to read one of the scales
Untitled-1.jpg

could someone please explain the nature of the scale along the top frame, the angular scale, i.e how it is spaced. One of my aims is to estimate which angle, roughly, the first peak corresponds to but I don't understand how the values between the 2 degrees and 0.5 degrees are spaced.

Thanks a lot

P.S the plot was taken from a technical paper regarding results from the WMAP experiment, which can be found at http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/news/tp_links.html

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several dozen technical papers at the link you gave.

We'd like to help, but you should pick the paper with your plot and reference just that one paper. Give a page number so we don't have to hunt it up.

Sorry, I should have referenced that better, this is a better link to follow

http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/map_bibliography.cfm

and the paper where the plot came from is called

Nine-Year Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Observations: Cosmology Results
Hinshaw, G.F., et.al., 2013, ApJS., 208, 19H

the plot is fig.2 on page 8.

Thanks again

Subject of a thread with the colleagues here. ##\theta = {180^\circ\over l}## with a caveat that it's not perfectly well-defined.

Thanks, that was helpful.

Exciting subject !

Related to Graph Scale Confusion: Estimating Values from Plots

1. What is graph scale confusion and why is it important?

Graph scale confusion refers to the difficulty in accurately estimating values from a graph due to inconsistencies in the scale or units used. It is important because it can lead to incorrect interpretations of data and misinformed conclusions.

2. How can I avoid graph scale confusion?

To avoid graph scale confusion, it is important to carefully read and understand the labels and units on the graph. Make sure to pay attention to the scale and any breaks or intervals on the axes. It is also helpful to compare the data points to the actual numbers provided in the graph legend or data table.

3. Can graph scale confusion affect the results of a study?

Yes, graph scale confusion can have a significant impact on the results of a study. Incorrectly estimating values from a graph can lead to inaccurate conclusions and potentially affect the validity of the study.

4. Are there any tools or techniques to help with graph scale confusion?

There are several tools and techniques that can help with graph scale confusion. Some include using a ruler or straight edge to accurately read the values on the graph, converting the units to a common standard, and using technology such as graphing calculators to accurately plot and analyze data.

5. Can graph scale confusion be problematic in real-world applications?

Yes, graph scale confusion can be problematic in real-world applications, especially in fields such as science, engineering, and economics where accurate data analysis is crucial. It is important to be aware of potential issues with graph scale and take steps to avoid confusion in order to make informed decisions based on accurate data.