Graph of rutherford scattering

It is important to include the sin and 1/2 in the equation, as they affect the value of N. Therefore, plotting lg N against lg (sinT/2) will give you a straight line, and you can use this to find the relationship between N and T. In summary, to find the relationship between N and T in the Rutherford scattering formula, you should plot lg N against lg (sinT/2) and take into account the sin and 1/2 in the equation.
quietrain

Homework Statement

in rutherford scattering formula, N is proportional to (sin T/2)-4
where T is the scattering angle, N is the count rate per min.

i have to find the relationship between N and T

so how do i get a straight line graph out of this relationship?

if i plot lg N vs lg T , since lg N= -4 lg (sinT/2) , i get y = -3.6x + 5.1 through my data ,
does this mean that the gradient of -3.6 is a reflection of the -4 power? since i didnt take into account the sin and 1/2 .

so should i be plotting lg N against lg (sinT/2) ? but if i do so, then i would be assuming that N takes on the form of (sin T/2)-4 straight away.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsN = (sin T/2)-4The Attempt at a SolutionYou should plot lg N vs lg (sinT/2). This is because the equation for N is N = (sin T/2)-4. Taking the log of both sides gives you lg N = -4 lg (sinT/2). This means that the slope of the line will be -4, which is a reflection of the power in the equation.

Related to Graph of rutherford scattering

1. What is the Rutherford scattering experiment?

The Rutherford scattering experiment was an experiment conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 to study the structure of an atom. It involved firing alpha particles at a thin sheet of gold foil and observing their deflection angles, which led to the discovery of the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does the Rutherford scattering graph look like?

The Rutherford scattering graph is a plot of the deflection angle of alpha particles on the y-axis against the scattering angle on the x-axis. It has a characteristic shape with a sharp peak at low scattering angles, followed by a gradual decrease in deflection angle at higher scattering angles.

3. What does the Rutherford scattering graph tell us about the structure of an atom?

The Rutherford scattering graph provides evidence for the existence of a small, dense, and positively charged nucleus at the center of an atom. The sharp peak at low scattering angles indicates that most alpha particles passed through the gold foil without any significant deflection, suggesting that the majority of an atom's mass is concentrated in a small space.

4. How did the Rutherford scattering experiment contribute to our understanding of the atom?

The Rutherford scattering experiment was a crucial milestone in the development of modern atomic theory. It provided evidence for the existence of the atomic nucleus and helped debunk the previously accepted Thomson atomic model, which proposed that the positive charge in an atom was evenly distributed throughout the atom.

5. What are the factors that affect the Rutherford scattering pattern?

The factors that affect the Rutherford scattering pattern include the atomic number of the target material, the energy and angle of incidence of the alpha particles, and the size and density of the atomic nucleus. These factors can alter the deflection angle of the alpha particles and thus affect the shape of the scattering graph.