Overtones in a string (equation for wave)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the wave equation for the first harmonic of a string with a fundamental tone of ##s_1 = A_1\sin (\omega_1 t - k_1 x)##, where the sound intensity level of the harmonic is 20dB lower than the fundamental tone. The equations for sound intensity level ##L = 10\lg (\frac{I_1}{I_0} )## and sound intensity ##I \sim A^2## are used to find the amplitude relationship ##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = 0.1## for the first harmonic with double the frequency ##\omega_1 = 1360/s##. However, the correct
Incand

Homework Statement

A string has the fundamental tone of
##s_1 = A_1\sin (\omega_1 t - k_1 x)##
Determinate the wave equation for the first harmonic of the string if the sound intensity level of the harmonic is 20dB lower than the fundamental tone. ##\omega_1 = 1360/s## and ##k_1 = 4/m##.

Homework Equations

Sound intensity level
##L = 10\lg (\frac{I_1}{I_0} )##
Sound intensity is proportional to the wave amplitude squared

##I \sim A^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Sound intensity level
##-20 = 10\lg( \frac{I_2}{I_1}) \Longleftrightarrow I_2 = 0.01I_1##
Amplitude relationship
##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = 0.1 \Longleftrightarrow A_2 = 0.1A_1##
The first harmonic got double the frequency so
##s_2 = 0.1A_1 \sin(2 \omega_1 t - 2 k_1 x)##
which is wrong. According to the answer key it should be
##s_2 = 0.05A_1\sin(2 \omega_1 t-2k_1 x)##
Why is it 0.05?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I recall the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude. But perhaps I'm rusty.

TSny said:
Energy of a wave on string depends on ##\omega## as well as ##A##.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/powstr.html
Cheers!

CWatters said:
As I recall the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude. But perhaps I'm rusty.
Always a bit tricky, luckily we got TSny to link us the formula :)

Related to Overtones in a string (equation for wave)

1. What are overtones in a string?

Overtones in a string refer to the higher frequency vibrations that occur in addition to the fundamental frequency when a string is plucked or struck.

2. How are overtones related to the length of a string?

The length of a string determines the wavelengths of the overtones that can be produced. As the string length decreases, the wavelengths of the overtones also decrease, resulting in higher frequency vibrations.

3. What is the equation for calculating the frequency of an overtone in a string?

The equation for calculating the frequency of an overtone in a string is: f = nv/2L, where n is the overtone number, v is the velocity of the wave, and L is the length of the string.

4. How do overtones affect the sound produced by a string instrument?

Overtones add complexity and richness to the sound produced by a string instrument. They contribute to the overall timbre and can be manipulated by the musician to create different tones and effects.

5. Can overtones be heard in all types of strings?

Yes, overtones can be heard in all types of strings, including guitar strings, violin strings, and even vocal cords. They are a natural result of the vibrating string and contribute to the unique sound of each instrument.