Graph of lines going through the origin

In summary: So, the points on the line are evenly spaced.In summary, the conversation discusses drawing the graphs of linear lines and whether other points are needed besides the x and y intercepts. The speaker believes that only two points are needed to draw the line, while the other person explains that the book suggests using more points to ensure accuracy. Ultimately, it is agreed that either method can be used to plot a line, but the book's method may be more reliable.
mech-eng
Here is an explanation about drawing the graphs of linear lines which, I think, incorrect. So would you check it?

"If graph, such as y=7x, goes through the origin, it has only one intercept, and other points will be needed for graphing." I think other points will not be needed because lines such as y=7x can easily be plotted.

Source: Algebra and Trigonometry by Keedy/Bittinger 4th edition.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think what they are trying to say is if you get two points, then you can just connect the dots. For example this line: y = 7x + 14. Set y equal zero to get the x intercept at (-2,0) then set x equal to zero to get the y intercept at (0,14). Then just get a straight edge and connect the two points.

With something like y = 7x, you will have to plug in another value for x or y and calculate an extra point {the origin is one of the points on the line}. I think that is what they mean by "other points will be needed".

Likes mfb
You are right but I thought it could be drawn if we caught the right direction or angle.

Thank you.

Still, if you say that you are going to move in the direction of slope 7, you would move to the right 1 unit and up 7 units. This in effect creates another point on the line. It's not that the book is absolutely wrong. What the book described is one way to plot the line.

mech-eng said:
You are right but I thought it could be drawn if we caught the right direction or angle.

Thank you.
Yes. And how do you use direction or angle? You use them to find a way to place your ruler, that gives you a second point somehow.

scottdave said:
Still, if you say that you are going to move in the direction of slope 7, you would move to the right 1 unit and up 7 units. This in effect creates another point on the line. It's not that the book is absolutely wrong. What the book described is one way to plot the line.

But if you somebody do it by pencil, I think they would not create a once more point, they draw a part of the line and they would have created infinitely many points.

Thank you.

Line graph.jpg

To place a straight line on a graph you just need the coordinates of any two well separated points on that line .

mech-eng said:
"If graph, such as y=7x, goes through the origin, it has only one intercept, and other points will be needed for graphing." I think other points will not be needed because lines such as y=7x can easily be plotted.
What they're saying here is that lines of the form y = mx, with m ≠ 0, have the x-intercept and the y-intercept at the same point -- the origin. In contrast, the line y = 2x + 4 has intercepts at different places, making it easier to graph the line.

For the equation y = 7x, one point is at (0, 0), and it's easy to get another point by substituting a value for x, and calculating the y value. Doing this, we can see that the graph goes through (1, 7) and (2, 14). Any value you put in for x gives a corresponding y-value.

Related to Graph of lines going through the origin

1. What is the significance of the origin in a graph of lines?

The origin, or point (0,0), is where the x-axis and y-axis intersect on a graph. It represents the starting point or reference point for all values on the graph. In a graph of lines going through the origin, all lines will pass through this point.

2. How can you determine if a line goes through the origin?

A line goes through the origin if the coordinates of the origin, (0,0), satisfy the equation of the line. This means that when you substitute 0 for both x and y in the equation, it should still hold true. For example, the line y = 2x goes through the origin because when x = 0 and y = 0, the equation is still true (0 = 2*0).

3. What does a graph of lines going through the origin look like?

A graph of lines going through the origin will have all lines intersecting at the origin, creating a cross shape. The lines may have different slopes and intercepts, but they will all pass through the origin.

4. How do you find the slope of a line going through the origin?

The slope of a line going through the origin can be found by calculating the change in y-values over the change in x-values. Since the origin is the starting point, the y-value will always be 0. This means that the slope will be equal to the y-intercept divided by 0, which is undefined.

5. What is the equation for a line going through the origin?

The equation for a line going through the origin is y = mx, where m is the slope of the line. Since the y-intercept is 0, there is no need for a constant term in the equation. This means that the line will pass through the origin for all values of x and y.