Algebra Problem About Quadratic Function

In summary, the equation y = (x - 2) ^2 - 9 is the most efficient for determining the x-intercepts of a quadratic function, while the vertex form y=(x-2)^2-9 is the easiest for graphing purposes.
Joystar77
These 3 equations all describe the same quadratic function. What are the coordinates of the following points on the graph of the function? From which equation is each point most easily determined?

y = (x - 5) (x + 1)

y = x ^ 2 - 4x - 5

y = (x - 2) ^ 2 - 9

X-intercept, what are the points, equation, and explanation why that equation is the one

from which the x-intercepts are most easily determined?

Please tell me someone if this is correct or am I thinking of something else:

The simple way to graph y = (x - 5) (x + 1) is to generate at least four points, put those on graph paper and draw a straight line through them.

Here's how I generate the required points:

Use the equation, y = (x -5) (x + 1) and choose an integer for x, say x = 2, and substitute this into your equation to find the corresponding value of y.

y = (x - 5) (x + 1)

y = (2-5) (2 + 1)

y = (-3) (3)

y = -9

So, my first two points has coordinates of (2, -9). Now am I suppose to repeat this operation with a different value of x, say x = 4.

y = (x - 5) (x + 1)

y = (4 -5) (4 + 1)

y = (-1) (5)

y = -5

So, my second two points has coordinates of (4, -5).

Now mark these two locations on graph paper starting at the origin of my graph (where the x-axis crosses the y-axis), go to the right of 2 squares (x = 2) then down 9 squares
y = -9) and mark your first point.

For the second point, again, start at the origin and go right 4 squares (x = 4) and then down 5 squares (y = -5) and mark your second point.

Using a straight edge, draw a line joining these two points. You have now graphed the equation y = ( x -5) (x + 1).

Compare your graph with the graph of y = (x -5) (x + 1).

Am I starting this out right or am I thinking of something different? Please somebody let me know.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the factored form:

\(\displaystyle y=(x-5)(x+1)\)

is the easiest form for determining the $x$-intercepts. These intercepts occur for $y=0$, and this factored form allows us to use the zero-factor property to quickly determine them by equating each factor to zero and solving for $x$.

As far as graphing the function, you need to observe that it is a quadratic function, and so its graph will be that of a parabola, not a straight line. For graphing, the easiest way is to use the vertex form:

\(\displaystyle y=(x-2)^2-9\)

and observe that this is simply the graph of $y=x^2$ translated two units to the right and nine units down. Its vertex is at $(2,-9)$.

Why is the equation y = (x - 2) ^2 - 9 the one out of all three equations listed below:

y = (x - 5) (x + 1)

y = x^2 - 4x - 5

y = (x - 2) ^2 - 9

the one from which the x-intercepts are most easily determined? Can you explain this?

Joystar1977 said:
Why is the equation y = (x - 2) ^2 - 9 the one out of all three equations listed below:

y = (x - 5) (x + 1)

y = x^2 - 4x - 5

y = (x - 2) ^2 - 9

the one from which the x-intercepts are most easily determined? Can you explain this?

It is the factored form:

$y=(x-5)(x+1)$

from which the $x$-intercepts are most easily determined, the reason for which I explained in my post above. However, the vertex form:

\(\displaystyle y=(x-2)^2-9\)

is the easiest to use for graphing purposes. :D

Your approach to graphing the equation y = (x - 5) (x + 1) is correct. You have correctly determined two points on the graph and connected them with a straight line. This is a simple and effective method for graphing any quadratic function.

To answer the question about which equation is most easily used to determine the x-intercepts, it depends on what information you have available. If you already have the equation in standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c), then it would be easiest to use the equation y = (x - 5) (x + 1) because it is already factored and you can easily see the x-intercepts at x = 5 and x = -1.

However, if you only have the graph of the function, it may be easier to use the equation y = x^2 - 4x - 5 because you can see the x-intercepts as the points where the graph crosses the x-axis. This equation is also in standard form, so if you have the vertex form equation y = (x - h)^2 + k, you can easily convert it to standard form and find the x-intercepts.

In summary, the equation that is easiest to use to determine the x-intercepts depends on the information you have available. If you have the equation in standard form, it would be easiest to use that equation. If you only have the graph, it may be easier to use the equation in standard form or vertex form, depending on which one you are more comfortable with.

Related to Algebra Problem About Quadratic Function

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a type of polynomial function with a degree of 2. It can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. The graph of a quadratic function is a parabola.

2. How do I solve a quadratic function?

To solve a quadratic function, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring. The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the constants in the quadratic function. Factoring involves finding two numbers that when multiplied, equal the constant term (c) and when added, equal the coefficient of the middle term (b).

3. What is the vertex of a quadratic function?

The vertex of a quadratic function is the highest or lowest point on the parabola. It is also the point where the parabola changes direction. The coordinates of the vertex can be found using the formula (h, k), where h = -b/2a and k = f(h).

4. How do I graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, you can use the vertex and a few other points on the parabola. You can also use the axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line passing through the vertex. Plot the vertex and a few other points on one side of the axis of symmetry, then mirror those points to the other side. Connect the points to create the parabola.

5. What are some real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions are commonly used to model and solve real-life problems involving motion, such as projectile motion. They can also be used in business and economics to analyze profit and cost, as well as in engineering to design structures with optimal dimensions. In addition, quadratic functions can be used in statistics to analyze data and create models for prediction and forecasting.