Graph of f(x,y): Contour Curves & Hyperbolas

In summary, the conversation is about a function f(x,y)=x^2-2*y^2 and its corresponding surface S:z=f(x,y). The question is whether the contour curves of the surface are hyperbolas or hyperbolic paraboloids. The answer is that they are indeed hyperbolas. The conversation also touches on finding the tangent plane at a specific point on the surface, which involves calculating df/dx, df/dy, and df/dz. It is clarified that df/dz should be considered as dg/dz when dealing with a parametric surface, and the value is -1.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi!
Let the function be f(x,y)=x^2-2*y^2,which graph is S:z=f(x,y).Which are the contour curves?Are these hyperbolas? :confused:

Thanks in advance!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
put \(\displaystyle x^2-y^2= k \)

Now , choose some values for $k$ and draw them in the xy-plane . What are these curves ?

I did this,and I think that the curves are hyperbolas...Is this correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Or are these hyperbolic paraboloids?

evinda said:
I did this,and I think that the curves are hyperbolas...Is this correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Or are these hyperbolic paraboloids?

Heh. The surface is a hyperbolic paraboloid.
The contour curves are indeed hyperbolas.

Nice...Thank you very much! :p

I have also an other question... :eek: To find the tangent plane at the point (sqrt(2),1,0),I have to find df/dx,df/dy,df/dz...Is df/dz=d(x^2-2*y62-z)/dz=-1?Or df/dz=dz/dz=1?

evinda said:
I have also an other question... :eek: To find the tangent plane at the point (sqrt(2),1,0),I have to find df/dx,df/dy,df/dz...Is df/dz=d(x^2-2*y62-z)/dz=-1?Or df/dz=dz/dz=1?
An equation of the tangent plane to the surface z = f(x, y) at the point P (http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32A/chap12/section4/793d1/IMG00002.GIF is:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32A/chap12/section4/793d1/IMG00003.GIF

Regards.

Great...!Thank you very much...! :rolleyes:

evinda said:

Well, this is a bit ambiguous.
The surface z=f(x,y) is a parametric surface in x and y.
It makes no sense to consider df/dz which would be zero, since f(x,y) does not contain z.

So I suspect you're supposed to consider g(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-z.
The equation g(x,y,z)=0 identifies the same surface.
And then yes, dg/dz=-1.

Oh good!Thank you very much! ;)

You're welcome! ;)

Related to Graph of f(x,y): Contour Curves & Hyperbolas

What is a graph of f(x,y)?

A graph of f(x,y) is a visual representation of a function that has two independent variables, x and y. The graph shows how the output, or the dependent variable, changes as the values of x and y vary.

What are contour curves on a graph of f(x,y)?

Contour curves on a graph of f(x,y) represent lines of constant output. These curves connect points on the graph with the same output value. They can be used to identify patterns and relationships between the input and output variables.

What is the significance of hyperbolas on a graph of f(x,y)?

Hyperbolas on a graph of f(x,y) represent the set of points where the output value is constant and different from all other points on the graph. They can also show the relationship between two independent variables, with one variable increasing while the other decreases.

How can a graph of f(x,y) be useful in scientific research?

A graph of f(x,y) can be useful in scientific research as it allows for visualizing and analyzing the relationship between two variables. It can also be used to identify patterns, trends, and anomalies in the data, making it a valuable tool in data analysis and hypothesis testing.

What are some common applications of graphs of f(x,y)?

Graphs of f(x,y) can be found in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and understand complex systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and physical phenomena. They are also used in data visualization and analysis to communicate findings and support scientific conclusions.