Graph a Harmonic Function and its Polynomial Match

In summary, the person is asking for a graph of a function in the form of (Acos(x)+Bsin(x)), as well as a polynomial with the same zeros. They are open to a simple and visually appealing graph, and do not necessarily need the function to be accurate. They have also provided a hand-drawn image for reference. Another person suggests using gnuplot to plot the function and export it to a desired format, and provides an attachment of two graphs as examples.
cap.r
Hello I am appealing to the computer savvy bunch here and asking for a graph.

I need the graph to show a function that is of the form (Acos(x)+Bsin(X)) it can be simple... just anything harmonic I dont' even need the function you can just draw it. and then I need a polynomial that has the same zeros.

again this just needs to look good, the math doesn't have to be correct you can Photoshop it if that's easier. I have included my drawing of it by hand.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6787/poly.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello i suggest you to use gnuplot...you can plot any function..and export to jpg or eps or pdf..
have a look at the attachment..one is f2(x)=sin(x) and other is f(x)=2sin(x).

Attachments

• phsf.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 219

Related to Graph a Harmonic Function and its Polynomial Match

1. What is a harmonic function and how is it related to polynomials?

A harmonic function is a type of mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace equation, meaning that the function's second derivatives are equal to zero. Harmonic functions are related to polynomials because they can be expressed as a sum of polynomials and their derivatives.

2. How do you graph a harmonic function and its polynomial match?

To graph a harmonic function and its polynomial match, you can use a graphing calculator or graphing software. First, plot the points of the harmonic function by evaluating the function for different values of x. Then, plot the points of the polynomial match by evaluating the polynomial for the same values of x. Finally, connect the points to create the graphs.

3. What is the purpose of graphing a harmonic function and its polynomial match?

The purpose of graphing a harmonic function and its polynomial match is to visually compare the two functions and see how closely they match. This can help in understanding the relationship between the two and in analyzing the behavior of the functions.

4. Can a polynomial function always match a harmonic function?

No, a polynomial function cannot always match a harmonic function. While all harmonic functions can be expressed as a sum of polynomials, the reverse is not always true. Some polynomial functions may not satisfy the Laplace equation and therefore cannot be considered harmonic functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of harmonic functions and their polynomial matches?

Harmonic functions and their polynomial matches have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze natural phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic fields, as well as to approximate complex systems and make predictions.