Grand partition function Z of a system

In summary, the grand partition function Z of a system is a sum of exponential terms involving energy levels and number of particles, and can be used to calculate the average internal energy. By taking the temperature derivative of the natural logarithm of Z, the expression for the average internal energy can be derived.
sm09
The grand partition function Z of a system is given by formula:

Z = Ʃ exp ((-Ei/KbT) + (μni/KbT))

where , 1, 2... i E i= are permitted energy levels, μ is the chemical
potential, , 1,2... i n i= are number of particles of different types.
Taking into account that averaged internal energy

U = Ʃ Pi(Ei-μni) show that

U = Kb(T^2)(d(lnZ)/dT)

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The grand partition function is as follows:

[itex]\Large{Z = \sum_{i}{e^{(\frac{-\epsilon_i}{kT}) + (\frac{{\mu}n_i}{kT})}}}[/itex]

Remembering that the expectation value of the energy is the following:

[itex]\large{<U> = \sum_{i}{P(i)({\epsilon}_i-{\mu}n_i)}}[/itex]

(where P(i) is the probability of finding the system in the ith state..)
Show that:

[itex]\large{<U> = kT^2\frac{d(ln(Z))}{dT}}[/itex]

Just dressing up your equations in Latex for the practice. This proof should in a standard Thermal Physics text, but unfortunately I am without mine at the moment :(

Last edited:
Note:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dT}\ln(Z)=\frac{1}{Z}\frac{dZ}{dT}
[/tex]
also, you should look up the definition of the canonical probability distribution [itex]P(\sigma_i)[/itex]. With those definitions, you should be on your way. Also remember that the temperature derivative can pass through the sum in the first equation.

Related to Grand partition function Z of a system

1. What is the grand partition function Z of a system?

The grand partition function Z of a system is a mathematical quantity that represents the combined probability of all possible states of a system. It is used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of systems with varying number of particles and energy.

2. How is the grand partition function related to the partition function?

The grand partition function Z is related to the partition function Q through the formula Z = ∑QNexp(-βEN), where N represents the number of particles, β is the inverse temperature, and EN is the energy of the system with N particles.

3. What is the significance of the grand partition function in statistical mechanics?

The grand partition function is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its energy, entropy, and chemical potential. It allows for the analysis of systems with varying number of particles and energy, making it a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is the grand partition function used in the canonical ensemble?

In the canonical ensemble, the grand partition function is used to calculate the probability of a system having a certain number of particles and energy. It is used along with the Boltzmann distribution to determine the most probable state of a system at a given temperature.

5. Can the grand partition function be extended to quantum systems?

Yes, the grand partition function can be extended to quantum systems by using the quantum version of the Boltzmann distribution. This allows for the analysis of quantum systems at different temperatures and chemical potentials.