How to get mean occupation numbers by Grand partition function?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the grand partition function calculates the number of particles in a single state with energy ϵ_i.
hokhani
How to calculate [itex]<n_i ^2>[/itex] for an ideal gas by the grand partition function ([itex]<n_i>[/itex] is the occupation number)? In other words, I like to know how do we get to the formula [itex]<n_i>=-1/\beta (\frac{\partial q}{\partial\epsilon})[/itex] and [itex]<n_i ^2>=1/Z_G [-(1/\beta \frac{\partial }{\partial\epsilon})^2 Z_G][/itex]?

[itex]Z_G[/itex] is grand partition function , q=[itex]ln Z_G[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the energy of the corresponding level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define
[tex]Z(\beta,\alpha)=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N}O.[/tex]
Here, I assume we have a non-relativistic system with conserved particle number [itex]\hat{N}[/itex].
Then you get
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} Z=Z \langle N \rangle, \quad \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} Z=Z \langle N^2 \rangle.[/tex]
Now you have
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \alpha}=\langle N \rangle[/tex]
and then
[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z^2} \left (\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\alpha} \right )^2+\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial^2 Z}{\partial \alpha^2}=\langle N^2 \rangle -\langle N \rangle^2=\sigma_N^2.[/tex]
So the 2nd derivative of the GK potential wrt. to [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the standard deviation [itex]\sigma_N^2[/itex] of the particle number, not the expectation value of the particle number squared!

More conventional is to write [itex]\alpha = \beta \mu[/itex], where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential, but then it's a bit inconvenient for evaluating expectation values of the particle number and its powers (or equivalently cumulants of the particle number).

vanhees71 said:
Define
[tex]Z(\beta,\alpha)=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N}O.[/tex]
Here, I assume we have a non-relativistic system with conserved particle number [itex]\hat{N}[/itex].
Then you get
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} Z=Z \langle N \rangle, \quad \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} Z=Z \langle N^2 \rangle.[/tex]
Now you have
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \alpha}=\langle N \rangle[/tex]
and then
[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z^2} \left (\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\alpha} \right )^2+\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial^2 Z}{\partial \alpha^2}=\langle N^2 \rangle -\langle N \rangle^2=\sigma_N^2.[/tex]
So the 2nd derivative of the GK potential wrt. to [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the standard deviation [itex]\sigma_N^2[/itex] of the particle number, not the expectation value of the particle number squared!

More conventional is to write [itex]\alpha = \beta \mu[/itex], where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential, but then it's a bit inconvenient for evaluating expectation values of the particle number and its powers (or equivalently cumulants of the particle number).

Thank you very much for your good response but what I meant by [itex]n_i[/itex] is the number of particles in the ith single particle state with energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex] and not the total number of particles, N.
I study the book "statistical mechanics by Pathria". Reading this book is somewhat difficult. Also I think this book (although is a very good book) hasn't well set apart the borders between quantum and classical treatment. Could you please tell me, if there is any, another good reference in that level instead?

Related to How to get mean occupation numbers by Grand partition function?

1. How do I calculate the grand partition function?

The grand partition function can be calculated by taking the product of the partition function and the fugacity, raised to the power of the number of particles. This can be written as: Ξ = Π_i (z_i)^N_i, where z_i is the fugacity for each type of particle and N_i is the number of particles of that type.

2. What is the significance of the grand partition function in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the grand partition function plays a crucial role in determining the probability of a system being in a particular state. It takes into account both the energy and particle number fluctuations, making it suitable for describing systems with variable particle numbers, such as gases.

3. How can I use the grand partition function to calculate mean occupation numbers?

The mean occupation numbers can be calculated by taking the derivative of the grand partition function with respect to the fugacity. This will give the average number of particles in each energy state. The mean occupation number for a particular energy state can also be calculated by dividing the fugacity raised to the power of the energy of that state by the grand partition function.

4. Can the grand partition function be used for interacting particle systems?

Yes, the grand partition function can be modified to account for interactions between particles. This is done by including an additional term in the expression for the partition function, which takes into account the potential energy of the interactions between particles.

5. Are there any limitations to using the grand partition function for calculating mean occupation numbers?

One limitation of using the grand partition function is that it assumes a non-degenerate system, where multiple particles cannot occupy the same energy state. It also assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium, which may not always be the case for real systems. Additionally, the grand partition function may not accurately describe systems with strongly interacting particles.