Grammatically speaking, which would you consider more correct?

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date

Which sentence is less likely to offend a grammarian?

• The person that you nominated is outstanding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The person who you nominated is outstanding.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eclair_de_XII
Forgive me for not using the word "correct" as an absolute adjective. Anyway, consider the following sentence.

The person you nominated is outstanding.

The adjective phrase "you nominated" modifies the noun "person". Optionally, the noun "person" can be followed by a relative pronoun.

Which is pronoun is "more correct"?

The person that you nominated is outstanding.
The person who you nominated is outstanding.

On one hand, you have "that", which is typically used in conjunction with an object, which is acted upon by some verb. In this case, "person" is the object acted upon by the verb "nominated", which is acted by "you". However, it is commonly understood that "that", when used as a relative pronoun, is generally reserved for non-sapient objects. Hence, the use of "that" would be incorrect in this sense.

On the other hand, you have "who", which is used for sapient subjects. As previously discussed, "person" is the object, rather than the subject in this noun phrase. However, "person" is in reference to a human, which is sapient.

I am well-aware that using "whom" in this context is "most correct", as it is for objects that/who happen to be sapient. But I am also ridiculously terrible at using this word consistently. I am well aware of what it is for, but I am rarely ever able to identify when it is most appropriate to use it in normal speech and correspondences.

Alternatively, omitting the relative pronoun, as I have done initially, is also acceptable. But suppose that you had to choose between one of the two more common relative pronouns. Which would be more correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The who/whom controversy is a common issue among novice writers. We look to the internet for the answer:

https://www.touro.edu/departments/w...nly repeated advice for,end with the letter m.

When you can sub in he or she then use who.

When you can sub him or her then use whom.

For whom, the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
Trying he/she: For he the bell tolls. // For shee the bell tolls. --> nope

Trying him/her: For him, the bell tolls. // For her, the bell tolls. --> sounds better
Hence --> For whom the bell tolls.

1. Should I use "who" or "whom" in a sentence?

Use "who" when referring to the subject of a sentence and "whom" when referring to the object of a verb or preposition. For example, "Who is going to the store?" versus "Whom did you see?"

2. When is it appropriate to use a semicolon?

A semicolon is used to connect two independent clauses that are closely related but could stand as sentences on their own. It's also used to separate items in a series when the items themselves contain commas.

3. Is ending a sentence with a preposition acceptable?

While traditionally frowned upon in formal writing, ending a sentence with a preposition is generally accepted in modern English, especially in informal speech. It often makes sentences sound more natural; for example, "What are you talking about?"

4. Should I use "less" or "fewer"?

Use "fewer" when referring to countable objects and "less" when referring to uncountable quantities. For example, "fewer apples" but "less water."

5. How do I choose between "affect" and "effect"?

"Affect" is typically used as a verb meaning to influence something, as in "The weather can affect your mood." "Effect" is usually a noun meaning the result of a change, as in "The effect of the new policy was noticeable immediately."