Graduate Study in Particle Accelerator

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of graduate programs related to particle accelerator and courses recommended for undergraduate students interested in this field. Some well-known programs were mentioned, such as those at Stanford, Cornell, and UCLA, but there were also suggestions for other programs such as the Particle Accelerator School and the Lee Teng Undergraduate Internship in Accelerator Physics. It was also noted that accelerator physics is not a common undergraduate course and may be more closely related to electrical engineering.
HungryChemist
Hi. I've been searching through graduate program which allows a student to work on subjects that are related to particle accelerator. I've found few well known programs. However, I was hoping some of you can introduce me more of such programs. I've found Stanford, Cornell, and UCLA has research group working on accelerator technology.

Also, if I want to study the in/out of particle accelerator, what type of courses would you recommend me to take as an undergraduate student?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
HungryChemist said:
Hi. I've been searching through graduate program which allows a student to work on subjects that are related to particle accelerator. I've found few well known programs. However, I was hoping some of you can introduce me more of such programs. I've found Stanford, Cornell, and UCLA has research group working on accelerator technology.

Also, if I want to study the in/out of particle accelerator, what type of courses would you recommend me to take as an undergraduate student?

Thanks.

There are several well-respected particle accelerator programs in the country in addition to what you have listed:

Maryland, Indiana, USC, Berkeley, etc.

You might want to check out the Particle Accelerator School program, which has for-credit courses given at various times of the year. This includes both graduate and undergraduate courses. I have http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2006/10/particle-accelerator-school.html" , or you can go to their webpage directly.

http://uspas.fnal.gov

In case you are interested, the Illinois Accelerator Institute has started the http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2007/12/lee-teng-undergraduate-internship-in.html" in accelerator physics. You can also go to the internship website directly at

http://www.illinoisacceleratorinstitute.org/

I have to admit, it is very unusual to find an undergraduate who is interested in accelerator physics. :)

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, it is very unusual to find an undergraduate who is interested in accelerator physics. :)

Are you kidding? Accelerators are Big Science, and the most exciting of it. Admittedly most of those who are interested in accelerator work in general would be more into the particle physics side, but surely one also has to know a great deal about the machines themselves to do so?

Sojourner01 said:
Are you kidding? Accelerators are Big Science, and the most exciting of it. Admittedly most of those who are interested in accelerator work in general would be more into the particle physics side, but surely one also has to know a great deal about the machines themselves to do so?

Actually, no. People who do "accelerator physics" do not do "high energy physics", and high energy physicists are not accelerator physicists. That's a common misconception about the field of accelerator physics. I know, I've done several PR work on this field, especially during our Open House.

While one of the major application of accelerators is a particle collider/high energy, this is not the only area that accelerators are used. We have medical accelerators, accelerators at synchrotron centers, etc...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, no. People who do "accelerator physics" do not do "high energy physics", and high energy physicists are not accelerator physicists. That's a common misconception about the field of accelerator physics. I know, I've done several PR work on this field, especially during our Open House.

While one of the major application of accelerators is a particle collider/high energy, this is not the only area that accelerators are used. We have medical accelerators, accelerators at synchrotron centers, etc...

Zz.

Well, I'm interested in how to make one for medical purpose. ^^;
My gut tells me there will be more and more accelerator for purposes outside of pure physics research. It seems to me a good carrer field where I can amply learn high tech and physics!

By the way, thank you very much for the great source!

Actually, no. People who do "accelerator physics" do not do "high energy physics", and high energy physicists are not accelerator physicists.

Aha, yes. That'll teach me to read the original post thoroughly. I am definitely aware of the difference. However, I would have expected a significant overspill, and it surprises me that accelerator physics is considered unpopular with undergrads.

Sojourner01 said:
Aha, yes. That'll teach me to read the original post thoroughly. I am definitely aware of the difference. However, I would have expected a significant overspill, and it surprises me that accelerator physics is considered unpopular with undergrads.

Accelerator physics isn't a common undergraduate course. It is also not a common topic in various physics courses that illustrates application of the physics they are trying to convey. Where one might get a hint of it is in classical E&M. Furthermore, many parts of accelerator physics actually are more in the flavor of "electrical engineering" than physics. I think people in the Accelerator Physics community are evenly distributed between physics and electrical engineering. I think the accelerator physics programs at USC, UCLA and Maryland, for example, are in the electrical engineering dept.

Zz.

Related to Graduate Study in Particle Accelerator

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons or protons, to high speeds and energies. It is used to study the fundamental properties of matter and to create new particles for research purposes.

2. What are the benefits of studying particle accelerator technology in graduate school?

Graduate study in particle accelerator technology can provide a deep understanding of the principles and applications of this cutting-edge technology. It can also lead to career opportunities in various fields such as research, engineering, and medicine, where particle accelerators are used extensively.

3. What are the different areas of study within particle accelerator research?

Particle accelerator research covers a wide range of disciplines including accelerator physics, electromagnetism, beam dynamics, nuclear physics, and materials science. Other areas of study may include accelerator technology, instrumentation, and data analysis.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates with a degree in particle accelerator technology?

The demand for skilled professionals in the field of particle accelerators is growing, as these instruments are used in a variety of industries and research settings. Graduates may find employment in academia, national laboratories, government agencies, and private companies.

5. What are some common research projects in graduate study for particle accelerators?

Some common research projects in graduate study for particle accelerators include the design and construction of new accelerator facilities, development of advanced accelerator technologies, and experiments to study the properties of particles and their interactions. Other projects may involve the use of accelerators in medical or industrial applications.