Graduate programs connecting physics and math

In summary, the author is considering if they should continue their studies in mathematics or physics, but is unsure which would be a better fit. They are unsure if the options available in the US and Canada are the best for them.
sesinka
Hi, from relating posts I can't decide how things really are.

I'm B.S. of General Physics studying for M.S. of Mathematical Modeling (1st year of 2). It cost huge amount of energy to gain necessary mathematical knowledge (Functional Analysis, PDEs classical+modern, Various lectures of Numerical Methods etc.)
I had to learn many things myself in last year because my Bachelor studies required only limited math knowledge and I spend huge amount of my time in Lab with experiments during my B.studies so I hadn't any time for study Mathematics.

Now is hard to say what my specialization is, I consider myself as "Physicist doing math", but is like schism - sort of. My impression of reading posts is that in US, Canada and some other places, is possible to study only "pure" things (f.e. Pure Math) on Graduate level (PhD), when one doesn't want be an engineer. Am I right ?

I would like to do both in some way, I'm work so hard to gain (and grow) knowledge that I don't want to leave it. And I like both of them. (And I don't want to do double PhD)

Have you any suggestions which branch would be suitable for me ?

There are any Graduate programs in US or Canada that could possibly fit to me ?

Thanks for your advice

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, maybe it was too wide question... What about applied math studies with some if-it-is-possible useful results for physics ?

There is the field of so called mathematical physics , which tries to work out the things done in physics in a mathematical rigorous way. This could be the way to go in your case. But I don't know how popular that topic is in the US, at least here in Germany there is some research done in that direction. Here is some sort of surjective overview on the topic mathematical physics written by the professor who teaches my mathematical QM course (no fear it's in english ;-)): http://www.mathematik.uni-muenchen.de/~lerdos/WS08/QM/mp.pdf"

Let me know if you found it interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Graduate programs connecting physics and math

What is the purpose of a graduate program connecting physics and math?

A graduate program connecting physics and math aims to bridge the gap between these two disciplines and provide students with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts that govern the natural world. It also prepares students for careers in fields that require a strong foundation in both physics and math, such as theoretical physics, data science, and engineering.

What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate program connecting physics and math?

By combining physics and math, students gain a unique set of skills that are highly sought after in various industries. They learn how to solve complex problems using mathematical and computational techniques, develop critical thinking and analytical skills, and gain a deep understanding of the underlying mathematical principles that govern the physical world.

What types of courses can I expect to take in a graduate program connecting physics and math?

Graduate programs in this field typically include courses in advanced mathematics such as differential equations, complex analysis, and linear algebra, as well as courses in theoretical physics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as mathematical modeling, mathematical physics, and numerical methods.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of a program connecting physics and math?

Graduates of this program are well-equipped to pursue careers in a variety of fields including research, academia, data science, engineering, and finance. They may work as theoretical physicists, mathematical modelers, data analysts, or in roles that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

How can I prepare for a graduate program connecting physics and math?

To prepare for a graduate program in this field, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in both physics and math. Taking advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations can help prepare you for the rigorous coursework. It may also be beneficial to gain experience with computer programming and data analysis, as these skills are often used in the field.