Grading issues (transforming from letters to percentage and vice versa).

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary: There is not a standard rule, but many people (including most instructors) use a system where a 90 is equivalent to an A, a 80 is equivalent to a B, a 70 is equivalent to a C, and a 60 is equivalent to a D. Note that this is just a general guideline--in some cases an A may be worth a 91, a B may be worth a 90.5, and so on.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Can someone please help me converting grades from percentage to the letters system?

In the states if I'm not mistaken:
95-100:A+
90-94:A
85-89:B+
80-84:B
75-79:C+
70-74:C
65-69:D+
60-64:D
below that you get F.

Is this correct?

Anyone knows how it goes with colleges and univs at Great Britain?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
Can someone please help me converting grades from percentage to the letters system?

In the states if I'm not mistaken:
95-100:A+
90-94:A
85-89:B+
80-84:B
75-79:C+
70-74:C
65-69:D+
60-64:D
below that you get F.

Is this correct?
It's a rough rule of thumb, but instructors don't have to follow that scheme. Some schools allow for minus grades (i.e., A-). Some stretch the B and C range so that failing is below 50%. Some condense the range so failing is below a 70%. And in things like professional programs, students need to get a 70% or above in their courses to advance in the program, so even though we still break down lower grades into Ds and Fs, it's pretty irrelevant since neither allows them to pass to the next level.

Woah! :eek: I'm so glad I'm in the U.K.; a fail is below 40%, and for a first class (read A) grade, you need to get only 70% or above. :-p

In the US (probably elsewhere too, I don't know) many classes are graded on a curve. This just means that the worse case scenario is a 90 = A. If its curved then the grade that people get is based off of the average grade in the class... At my school, the average in a class is usually somewhere between 60 and 75, so an A will usually be around 80-85.

To be honest, the numbers don't mean much anyway. Every instructor has a sense of what material they expect students to know to pass their class and what level they need to understand to excel in their class, so give assignments and write exam questions at an appropriate difficulty level to fit their grading schema, or else they don't put much effort into the questions at all and just scale up the grades when students miss most of them so some reasonable percentage of the class passes.

I've taken classes where a 30% was a B and 15% was still passing. :bugeye: (Talk about exam stress!) Though, that was also one of the worst examples I've ever seen of a poorly written test. The questions seemed pulled out of thin air...topics not covered in either the lecture or the textbook (the lecture and textbook never matched either...it was as if the professor picked a random book and assigned chapters but never bothered to see what they included).

Anyone knows how it goes with colleges and univs at Great Britain?

Firstly, note that university and college are strictly different things in the UK: I presume you mean university. If so, there is no such thing as lettered grades in (most) universities in the UK: everything is done by % with, as mentioned above, a 70% average mark being the requirement for the highest class of degree (first class).
tmc said:
It's a bit more complicated over there. short intro:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grades_in_the_United_Kingdom

Note that link is talking about high school and college, and not university grading.

cristo, for example in cambridge's part 3 I've read that they have another marking system, of alpha's,beta's etc with distinction or merit.

cristo, for example in cambridge's part 3 I've read that they have another marking system, of alpha's,beta's etc with distinction or merit.

Yeah, note that I said 'most' above! I've also heard that Cambridge mark Part III modules from alpha+ to gamma-. I don't really know anything about that, though, so it's probably best someone else answer. In general, however, lettered grades don't exist in English universities.

Is there a rule on how to convert percentage to 1-4 grading system?

Related to Grading issues (transforming from letters to percentage and vice versa).

1. How do I convert a letter grade to a percentage?

To convert a letter grade to a percentage, first determine the numerical value associated with each letter grade (e.g. A=90-100, B=80-89, etc.). Then, add up the numerical values of each grade earned and divide by the total number of grades. Finally, multiply by 100 to get the percentage equivalent.

2. What is the formula for converting a percentage to a letter grade?

To convert a percentage to a letter grade, first determine the letter grade associated with each percentage range (e.g. 90-100=A, 80-89=B, etc.). Then, compare the given percentage to each range and assign the corresponding letter grade.

3. Can I use a simple calculator to convert between letter grades and percentages?

Yes, as long as you know the numerical values associated with each letter grade and the conversion formulas, you can use a basic calculator to convert between letter grades and percentages.

4. Why do some schools use letter grades while others use percentages?

The choice to use letter grades or percentages is usually based on the individual school's grading system and policies. Some schools believe that letter grades provide a more comprehensive evaluation of a student's performance, while others prefer the simplicity and consistency of percentages.

5. Are there any disadvantages to converting between letter grades and percentages?

One potential disadvantage is that the numerical values associated with letter grades may vary between schools or even between different teachers within the same school. This can make it difficult to accurately convert between letter grades and percentages. Additionally, converting between letter grades and percentages can sometimes oversimplify a student's performance and may not accurately reflect their abilities.