Can a Student with 73 Marks Place Among 18 Candidates?

• MHB
  • Thread starter waptrick
  • Start date
In summary, 11 students received marks between 70-74, with the student in question being one of them. There are 7 students above 74, making the probability of being in the top 10 candidates 3/11.
waptrick
I'm not sure if there is insufficient information or I may possibly overlooking something.

But here goes...

Students have been put in a range of percentages according to their marks obtained in Statistics.

1 student in 85-90
1 student in 80-84
5 students in 75-79
11 students in 70-74

If a student has an average of 73 where would the student place among the 18 students? Also what is the probability that the student is in the top 10 candidates?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
waptrick said:
I'm not sure if there is insufficient information or I may possibly overlooking something.

But here goes...

Students have been put in a range of percentages according to their marks obtained in Statistics.

1 student in 85-90
1 student in 80-84
5 students in 75-79
11 students in 70-74

If a student has an average of 73 where would the student place among the 18 students? Also what is the probability that the student is in the top 10 candidates?
You understand that 73 is between 70 and 74 don't you? So the student is one of the 11 students in the "70- 74" group. There are 5+ 1+ 1= 7 students above 74 so 3 of the student in "70-74" are in the "top 10". Knowing only that the student is in the bottom 11, the probability this student is in the top 10 is 3/11.

Sorry I was probably not as clear as I should have been. The original question was where would a student with a mark of 73 place among the 18 students? As in what number out of the 18 students

All you know is that this person's score is 73 which means he is one of the 11 students who had scores between 70 and 75. We cannot know which of those 11 students he/she is so we cannot say exactly where he/she stands.

Related to Can a Student with 73 Marks Place Among 18 Candidates?

1. Can a student with 73 marks be considered successful?

It depends on the context. In some cases, 73 marks may be considered a good score, while in others it may be below average. It is important to consider the grading system and the performance of other candidates before determining if 73 marks is a successful score.

2. How do marks determine a student's placement among other candidates?

Marks are one factor that can be used to determine a student's placement among other candidates. However, other factors such as experience, skills, and qualifications may also play a role in the final decision.

3. Is it possible for a student with 73 marks to be selected over others with higher marks?

Yes, it is possible. Selection processes vary and may consider a range of factors in addition to marks. A student with 73 marks may have other strengths or qualifications that make them a strong candidate for a particular opportunity.

4. Will a student with 73 marks have a chance to improve their placement among other candidates?

It is possible for a student with 73 marks to improve their placement. This can be achieved through hard work, dedication, and continued learning. Additionally, opportunities may arise where the student's skills and qualifications are better suited, leading to a higher placement.

5. Can a student with 73 marks still be successful despite not being among the top candidates?

Yes, a student with 73 marks can still be successful. Success is not solely determined by marks or placement in a particular opportunity. Success can be achieved in many different ways and is unique to each individual.