Gradient Vectors: Understanding the Operation - Homework Help

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand a certain operation in their textbook and is using the solution manual to reverse engineer the steps. They are unable to find a common pattern and are seeking help in understanding the operation. Another person suggests using an equation to determine y as a function of x and suggests solving it through separation of variables. The speaker then realizes they can simply plug in the values for x and y into the original equation.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

My textbook never explains well so I have to figure out how to do problems by reverse engineering using the solution manual. However, here is one operation that I simply cannot reverse engineer. I do not see a common pattern in these four problems. I can't figure out what operation is going on here. In the first one it looks like they're just multiplying i by x and j by y which would work but given the other 3 examples, that's not what's happening. I understand all the other steps but this is one operation that I don't understand.

Screenshot2012-02-29at72747PM.png

here are the full problems in case you need to see more context.

Screenshot2012-02-29at72744PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
An appropriate response really depends on what level class you are in. One approach, which works on these problems is to remember if you have an equation ##f(x,y)=c##, which determines y implicitly as a function of x, you have the formula$$
\frac{dy}{dx}= -\frac{f_x}{f_y}$$For example, in your problem 2 this would give$$
\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac x y$$Have you had any differential equations so you can solve this by separation of variables? Like I said, that's not the only way, but I don't know what you have to work with.

I figure out the operation. You just go back to the original question and plug in the values for x and y into the original equation, simple as that.

Related to Gradient Vectors: Understanding the Operation - Homework Help

What is a gradient vector?

A gradient vector is a mathematical concept commonly used in vector calculus to represent the direction and magnitude of the steepest rate of change of a scalar function at a given point. It is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest increase of the function.

How is a gradient vector calculated?

A gradient vector is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to each of its variables, and then arranging these derivatives into a vector. The components of the vector represent the rate of change of the function in each direction.

What is the significance of gradient vectors?

Gradient vectors are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they provide information about the direction and rate of change of a function. They are used in optimization problems, physics, and machine learning, among others.

What is the relationship between gradient vectors and level curves?

The gradient vector of a function is perpendicular to its level curves, which are curves that represent points where the function has a constant value. This means that the gradient vector points in the direction of the greatest increase of the function at any given point on the level curve.

How are gradient vectors used in real-world applications?

Gradient vectors have many practical applications, such as in modeling the flow of fluids and heat, finding the shortest path between two points, and optimizing machine learning algorithms. They are also used in image processing, computer graphics, and financial analysis, among others.