Gradient of product of wave functions

In summary, the original question was about taking the gradient of the inner product of two arbitrary wave functions and whether the result would be zero. However, this operation does not make sense as the gradient is a derivative with respect to a spatial coordinate and it is unclear which coordinate should be used. The concept of taking the gradient inside the integral was also discussed, but it was concluded that this expression is generally not equal to zero. However, the integral over this expression can be equal to zero for physically reasonable wave functions with certain properties.
J.L.A.N.
Hi,

Short question: If you take the inner product of two arbitrary wave functions, and then the gradient of that, the result should be zero, right? (Since the product is just a complex number.) Am I missing something?

∇∫dΩψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]*ψ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you get the 0 vector in R^n, but what would you use that gradient for ?

J.L.A.N. said:
Hi,

Short question: If you take the inner product of two arbitrary wave functions, and then the gradient of that, the result should be zero, right? (Since the product is just a complex number.) Am I missing something?

∇∫dΩψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]*ψ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0

I don't think this operation makes sense. The gradient is a derivative with respect to a spatial coordinate. What spatial coordinate are you differentiating with respect to? It must not be a coordinate you have already integrated over in the inner product.

The_Duck is right. The expression is meaningless.

The gradient is related to the momentum operator. But the momentum operator acts on wave functions, not on scalar products i.e. not on integrals over wave functions.

Thanks for the answers, but I'm sorry, I made an error in the formulation of the question. What I really meant was with the gradient inside of the integral, that is <p psi1 | psi2> in Dirac's notation. What I need is the gradient of (psi1-conjugate times psi2) to be zero for a proof I was thinking about.

It's certainly not the case that ##\langle \hat p \psi_1 | \psi_2 \rangle = 0## in general. It's not hard to come up with counterexamples; try it out.

Well, it turns out that I partly misformulated myself again, and was somewhat right from the beginning. I will try to make sense now, and put it in a little more context. What I want to be zero is the following expression:

-i[itex]\hbar[/itex]∫dΩ([itex]\overline{ψ_{1}}[/itex]∇[itex]ψ_{2}[/itex]+(∇[itex]\overline{ψ_{1}}[/itex])[itex]ψ_{2}[/itex]) = -i[itex]\hbar[/itex]∫dΩ∇([itex]\overline{ψ_{1}}[/itex][itex]ψ_{2}[/itex])

which means ∇([itex]\overline{ψ_{1}}[/itex][itex]ψ_{2}[/itex]) would have to be zero, which I figured it was since ([itex]\overline{ψ_{1}}[/itex][itex]ψ_{2}[/itex]) is a constant - the product of the probability amplitudes.

No.

##\nabla (\bar{\psi}_1 \psi_2) \neq 0##

in general (for arbitrary wave functions. The product of two wave functions is not a constant (only the integral over this product is a constant).

But

## \int dV \, \nabla (\bar{\psi}_1 \psi_2) = \oint dS \, (\bar{\psi}_1 \psi_2) ##

and this vanishes for physically reasonable wave functions with

##\lim_{r\to\infty}\psi(r)= 0##

Related to Gradient of product of wave functions

1. What is the gradient of a product of wave functions?

The gradient of a product of wave functions is a mathematical operator that calculates the rate of change of the product with respect to each variable in the system. It is represented as ∇(ψ₁ψ₂), where ψ₁ and ψ₂ are the individual wave functions.

2. How is the gradient of a product of wave functions calculated?

The gradient of a product of wave functions is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the product with respect to each variable. This results in a vector of partial derivatives, representing the rate of change in each direction.

3. What is the physical significance of the gradient of a product of wave functions?

The gradient of a product of wave functions is important in quantum mechanics as it is used to calculate the probability density of finding a particle in a certain position. It is also used in determining the forces acting on a particle in a given system.

4. Can the gradient of a product of wave functions be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a product of wave functions can be negative. This indicates a decreasing probability density or a force acting in the opposite direction of the gradient vector.

5. How does the gradient of a product of wave functions relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The gradient of a product of wave functions is used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the kinetic energy term in the equation, which is then combined with the potential energy term to determine the overall energy of the system.