Gradient in polar coords using tensors

In summary, the correct formula for the gradient in covariant and polar coordinates is \vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\hat{\vartheta}.
ohmymymymygod
Using tensors, I'm supposed to find the usual formula for the gradient in the covariant basis and in polar coordinates. The formula is [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\vec{e_{r}}+\frac{1}{r}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{e_{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] are the covariant basis vectors.

In the contravariant basis with [itex]\vec{e^{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e^{\vartheta}}[/itex] , we know that [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}] \vec{e^{i}}[/itex]. But from index gymnastics, [itex]\vec{e^{i}}=g^{ij}\vec{e_{j}}[/itex]. So [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}]g^{ij}\vec{e_{j}}[/itex].

In polar coordinates, the inverse metric tensor is [itex]g^{11} = 1, g^{12}=g^{21}=0, g^{22} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex].

So this gives [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\vec{e_{r}}+\frac{1}{r^{2}}[\frac{ \partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex]. And lo and behold, this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
the gymnastics you are talking about allow you to raise or lower indices of a tensor, but in this case what you want to do is express the gradient in different coordinates which is a different matter.

I'm not using the raising/lowering indices operations to switch from rectangular to polar coordinates, I'm using them to switch, in polar coordinates, from a contravariant basis to a covariant basis.

Actually, I think I know what I got wrong. The correct formula is [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}]\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \vartheta}]\hat{\vartheta}[/itex]. The vectors [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\vartheta}[/itex] are unit vectors, while [itex]\vec{e_{r}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e_{\vartheta}}[/itex] aren't unit vectors. But I can write [itex]\vec{e_{j}}=\hat{u_{j}}||\vec{e_{j}}||=\hat{u_{j}}\sqrt{g_{jj}}[/itex], with [itex]\hat{u_{j}}[/itex] a unit vector.

Then the formula for the gradient becomes [itex]\vec{grad}=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}]g^{ij}\sqrt{g_{jj}}\vec{u_{j}}[/itex] which I think is more right. (The r factor in √g22 compensates the 1/r2 in g22 for the correct 1/r.) But the indices don't seem to balance out in the way they are supposed to in the Einstein notation...

Related to Gradient in polar coords using tensors

1. What is a gradient in polar coordinates?

The gradient in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to the coordinate variables in a polar coordinate system. It is a vector field that points in the direction of the greatest increase of the function.

2. How is the gradient calculated in polar coordinates?

The gradient in polar coordinates is calculated using tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent linear relationships between different coordinate systems. The gradient is given by the dot product of the tensor with the vector of polar unit basis vectors.

3. What is the significance of the gradient in polar coordinates?

The gradient in polar coordinates is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of rates of change in systems that are described using polar coordinates. It is used in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and heat transfer.

4. How is the gradient represented graphically in polar coordinates?

The gradient in polar coordinates can be represented graphically using vector fields, where the direction and magnitude of the vectors represent the direction and rate of change of the function at each point in the coordinate system. The vectors are typically drawn as arrows, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the gradient.

5. Can the gradient in polar coordinates be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the gradient can be extended to higher dimensions, such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates. In these cases, the gradient is calculated using the appropriate tensor and basis vectors for the given coordinate system. The same principles and applications of the gradient in polar coordinates can also be applied in higher dimensions.