Grade 9 Geo Proj Stem Cell Help

• Thread starter Cigz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Stem
In summary: I'm not completely clear on what you need to do (or why you're researching stem cells for a geography class), but you might want to think of something along the lines of demonstrating stages of development where stem cells exist (i.e., they're not all of embryonic origin) and what sort of potential each type has (i.e., totipotent, pluripotent...)It's hard to make a "working" model of something that happens at a microscopic level.Don't think of it on the microscopic level in my opinion, think of the whole industry and idea of it.
Cigz
1. Homework Statement

I have a class in grade nine geography and as our final assignment we have to pick a topic on things that effect Canada. I picked stem cell research, got my info, but I have no idea of what to make the model. I tried thinking of everything, I'm in academic and for me to get a good mark it must "do something" (Ex. Solar Energy Model = A car -moving- because of solar energy). Most of the easy topics are taken now so I can't change, I still have 2 weeks but I want to get it over with since exams.

2. Homework Equations

None

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to think of many things, like how a stem cell evolves, but that would be very complicated and costly. I seriously am out of ideas, please help.

Help would be greatly appreciated,
Cigz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely clear on what you need to do (or why you're researching stem cells for a geography class), but you might want to think of something along the lines of demonstrating stages of development where stem cells exist (i.e., they're not all of embryonic origin) and what sort of potential each type has (i.e., totipotent, pluripotent...)

It's hard to make a "working" model of something that happens at a microscopic level.

Don't think of it on the microscopic level in my opinion, think of the whole industry and idea of it. I wouldn't focus on the biology part of it as much as the social impacts. How would our health care system change because of this technology? How about the economy if people start living longer?

A model could be a stem cell drug that heals because of stem cells rebuilding the diseased or damaged tissues. I'm not sure if you want a model that you can actually show or build or just write about..?

Thanks for the ideas, the model is suppost to be built from scratch to show how stem cell research has effected Canada. I am trying my best to think of how I could make it do something.

Thanks for the replies,
Cigz

Related to Grade 9 Geo Proj Stem Cell Help

1. What are stem cells and why are they important?

Stem cells are special cells in the body that have the ability to develop into different types of cells and tissues. They are important because they have the potential to treat diseases and injuries by replacing damaged or diseased cells.

2. How are stem cells used in medical treatments?

Stem cells can be used in medical treatments through a process called cell therapy. This involves transplanting healthy stem cells into a patient's body to replace damaged or diseased cells. Stem cells can also be used to create new tissues and organs in the laboratory for transplant.

3. What are the different types of stem cells?

There are several types of stem cells, including embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells, and induced pluripotent stem cells. Embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos and have the ability to develop into any type of cell in the body. Adult stem cells are found in various tissues and can produce a limited number of cell types. Induced pluripotent stem cells are created by reprogramming adult cells to have similar properties to embryonic stem cells.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research, particularly with the use of embryonic stem cells. This is because obtaining embryonic stem cells involves the destruction of an embryo, which some people consider to be the destruction of a potential human life. However, many scientists argue that the potential benefits of stem cell research outweigh these ethical concerns.

5. What is the current state of stem cell research?

Stem cell research is a rapidly advancing field, with new discoveries and treatments being developed all the time. Currently, stem cells are being used to treat a variety of conditions, such as leukemia, spinal cord injuries, and certain types of cancer. However, there is still much to learn about stem cells and their potential uses in medicine.