Grade 12 Physics - mass on an inclined plane (different question)

In summary, the block weighing 80N rests on a plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal. The minimum force F, parallel to the plane, needed to prevent the block from slipping down the plane is 46.15N. The minimum force F needed to start the block moving up the plane is 37.76N. To move the block up the plane at constant velocity, a force of 11.3N is required. The difference between the minimum forces in a) and b) is in the direction of friction, with friction always opposing motion.
an_mui
A block weighing 80N rests on a plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction is 0.25, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15.

a) What is the minimum force F, parallel to the plane that will prevent the block from slipping down the plane?
b) What is the minimum force F that will start the blocking moving up the plane?
c) What force F is required to move the block up the plane at constant velocity?

a) I am confused about the difference between question a and b? I don't know how to determine the minimum force that will prevent the block from slipping down the plane.

b) my equations

x-direction: Fapplied - Ffriction - mgsin theta = 0
y-direction: N - mgcos theta = 0
Ffriction = usN
Ff = us (mg cos theta)
Fapplied = us (mg cos theta) + mgsin theta
Fapplied = 18.79 + 27.36 = 46.15 N

N = mgcos theta

c)

Ffriction = ukN
Ff = uk (mgcos theta)
Fapplied = uk(mg cos theta) + mg sin theta
Fapplied = 10.4 + 27.36 = 37.76N

Please correct me if i made any mistakes

Physics news on Phys.org
actually for a:

the answer i got is:

F = mg (sin theta - ucos theta)
but other people got different answers... could someone please help me out?

Your answers for a) and b) are correct.
For c), check your value for the kinetic friction. It should be about 11.3.

The difference between a) and b) is in the direction that the friction acts.

Friction always opposes motion, or tendency to move.

If the block is moving in one direction, then friction is acting in the other direction.

If the block is static, then in what direction would it move if there were no friction ?
The actual friction would then act in the opposite direction to that motion.

Related to Grade 12 Physics - mass on an inclined plane (different question)

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped, typically used to make it easier to move objects from one level to another. In physics, inclined planes are often used to study the effects of gravity and friction on objects.

2. How is mass measured on an inclined plane?

Mass on an inclined plane is typically measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The object's weight is measured when placed on the inclined plane, and the angle of the plane is also recorded to calculate the component of the weight that acts parallel to the surface. This component is equal to the mass of the object.

3. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration on an inclined plane?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. On an inclined plane, the mass affects the amount of force required to move the object, thus affecting its acceleration. The greater the mass, the lower the acceleration.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the mass?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the mass by changing the component of the weight that acts parallel to the surface. As the angle increases, the component of the weight increases, making it more difficult to move the object, thus increasing the effective mass on the inclined plane.

5. What role does friction play in mass on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is present on all surfaces. On an inclined plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult to move the object. It can also affect the accuracy of the mass measurement, as it adds an additional force that needs to be accounted for in calculations.