Good reference to learn high energy physics

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for learning high energy physics. The person is looking for a book with real world practical applications and is interested in old books rather than new ones. The expert advises that it is important to clarify the level of knowledge the person has, as recommending a book on high energy physics without prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is not suitable. The expert suggests the Particle Adventure website as a good starting point for learning about elementary particles.
e0ne199
hello everyone, i just want to know about some good reference to learn high energy physics, maybe with some examples for real world practical application... and i heard that old books with this topic is far better than the new ones, can anyone here recommend a book or two? thanks before and i am sorry if my question sounds silly on here

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to describe at what level do you want the book to be. It is pointless to recommend, say, the Perkins text if you don’t know Quantum mechanics already.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You need to describe at what level do you want the book to be. It is pointless to recommend, say, the Perkins text if you don’t know Quantum mechanics already.

Zz.
let's say i have little or no knowledge about quantum mechanics, could you recommend a book suitable for that?

e0ne199 said:
let's say i have little or no knowledge about quantum mechanics, could you recommend a book suitable for that?

Then I do not believe any of the texts that Demystifier recommended will suit you.

Do you want to learn about "high energy physics" or, in actuality, "elementary particles" specifically? Without any of the prerequisites, the one place that I've often recommendeded is the Particle Adventure website, rather than a book.

Zz.

Likes Demystifier

Related to Good reference to learn high energy physics

1. What is high energy physics?

High energy physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of particles and interactions at very high energies, typically in the range of millions to billions of electron volts.

2. What are some good references to learn high energy physics?

Some good references for learning high energy physics include textbooks such as "Introduction to High Energy Physics" by Donald H. Perkins and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell. Online resources such as lectures from universities and research institutes, as well as scientific papers, can also be helpful.

3. Is a background in physics necessary to learn high energy physics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn high energy physics. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is essential.

4. What are some recent developments in high energy physics?

Some recent developments in high energy physics include the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider, the study of neutrino oscillations, and the search for dark matter particles.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of high energy physics in real-world industries?

There are many industries that utilize knowledge of high energy physics, such as medical imaging, nuclear power, and particle accelerator technology. Additionally, many research institutions and universities have departments or programs focused on high energy physics research.