Good, minimalistic program to rip CD's to MP3

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program Rip
In summary, Jacob is looking for a program to rip his CDs to MP3 files that doesn't take up too much space and doesn't have too many bells and whistles. He recommends Winamp and CDex.
wasteofo2
So, I've got a very slow computer that as of now only has Windows Media Player on it. I'm looking for a very basic program that can rip my CD's to MP3 files that doesn't take up too much ram and doesn't have lotsa fancy extras. Things like Real Player and Musicmatch are just so full of crap that I can't even deal with them, and I really don't know what other good free programs are out there that can just rip CD's to MP3.

Thanks for any help,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
CDs that you bought in stores, right? cause otherwise it would mean piracy.. ;)

Windows Media Player rips and encodes to MP3 or WMA, your choice.

I used to use a nice little application called CDex. Very small, pretty useful and you don't have to mess around with any big programs or anything.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

It's open source too, I think.

Edit: And I just realized dduardo posted exactly the same thing...

Easy CD-DA extractor is also another small and good program to use.

hitssquad said:
Windows Media Player rips and encodes to MP3 or WMA, your choice.
How do you get it to rip to MP3?

Wof2, unless you're not using Windows Media 10, the ripper should be built in the player. I think even version 9 has it

The_Professional said:
Wof2, unless you're not using Windows Media 10, the ripper should be built in the player. I think even version 9 has it
And here I was, still using version 8, thinking that updating would be totally pointless...

I second CDex. It's freeware and works quite well. Very easy to use.

Related to Good, minimalistic program to rip CD's to MP3

1. How do I find a good, minimalistic program to rip CD's to MP3?

There are many different programs available for ripping CD's to MP3, so it can be overwhelming to choose one. Some popular options include iTunes, Windows Media Player, and Exact Audio Copy. It's important to consider your specific needs and preferences when selecting a program.

2. What features should I look for in a good, minimalistic CD ripping program?

A good, minimalistic CD ripping program should have a simple and user-friendly interface, the ability to customize the quality and format of the ripped MP3 files, and the option to automatically retrieve track information and album artwork. It's also helpful to look for programs that have a high success rate in accurately ripping CD's.

3. Is it legal to rip CD's to MP3?

In most countries, it is legal to rip CD's for personal use as long as you own the original CD and do not distribute the ripped files. However, it's important to check the laws in your specific location to ensure that you are following the proper guidelines.

4. Can I use a free program to rip CD's to MP3?

Yes, there are many free programs available for ripping CD's to MP3. Some popular options include CDex, Winamp, and FreeRIP. These programs may not have as many features as paid programs, but they can still be effective for basic CD ripping needs.

5. How long does it take to rip a CD to MP3?

The length of time it takes to rip a CD to MP3 will depend on the speed of your computer and the program you are using. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to rip a full CD. Some programs also offer the option to rip multiple CD's simultaneously, which can save time if you have a large collection to convert.