Good math books for pre algebra

In summary: Alternatively, if you have a library card, check out the school's resources:In summary, a 10-year-old is very gifted in math, but may not be able to fully understand algebra and geometry without more exposure to them. There are many different books available to help him learn more.
ykeyani
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just give him a high school algebra or geometry book and have him write down what he doesn't understand and then teach him where to find the answers? I always wondered what would have happened if somebody had done that for me.

ykeyani said:
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.
I think even England has an amazon.com

You can find numerous textbooks with which to challenge your 10-YO. There are al sorts of "... for Dummies" books and more traditional texts available:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=n:266239,k:arithmetic+books+pre-algebra&tag=

Related to Good math books for pre algebra

1. What makes a good math book for pre-algebra?

A good math book for pre-algebra should have clear explanations and examples, a variety of practice problems, and helpful visuals such as diagrams and graphs. It should also provide a gradual progression of concepts and build upon previously learned skills.

2. Are there any recommended publishers or authors for pre-algebra math books?

Some popular and highly recommended publishers for pre-algebra math books include McGraw-Hill, Pearson, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Some well-known authors in this field include Ron Larson, Laurie Boswell, and Lee Stiff.

3. What are some key topics that should be covered in a pre-algebra math book?

Key topics that should be covered in a pre-algebra math book include operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and integers, as well as basic geometry and algebraic concepts such as expressions, equations, and inequalities.

4. Can a pre-algebra math book be used for self-study?

Yes, a pre-algebra math book can certainly be used for self-study. However, it is important to choose a book that is suitable for your skill level and has clear explanations and plenty of practice problems to ensure effective self-study.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance a pre-algebra math book?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials that can enhance a pre-algebra math book. Some examples include online practice problems, instructional videos, and interactive games. Many publishers also offer online resources and workbooks that can be used alongside their pre-algebra math books.