Good books in topology for beginners ?

In summary: I would recommend starting with a more basic book like Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces by W. A. Sutherland.
Maths Lover
which books do you think are good to beginners in topology ?

for someone don't know any thing in topology and little set theory ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres - Topology

I can tell you what not to read: For my introduction to topology course, the professor assigned Dixmier's book, which was atrocious, in that it made no effort to explain anything whatsoever.

The upside is that it's probably one of the thinnest textbooks ever produced for a mathematics course*.

*hyperbole intended

Maths Lover said:
which books do you think are good to beginners in topology ?

for someone don't know any thing in topology and little set theory ?

what kind of topology do you want to study?

lavinia said:
what kind of topology do you want to study?

what is the kind of topology ?!

what i know that there is general topology and algebraic topo
I think I will start with general topo then algebraic one

We used this book for our introduction to topology course.

Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces by W. A. Sutherland

I like Introduction to Topology: Second Edition by Theodore W. Gamelin and Robert Everist Greene. So people say it is to hard. It gives a good overview of metric space ,point-set topology and a little algebraic topological. It does not get bogged down it dull unimportant aspects of point-set topology like some books.

Counterexamples in Topology Lynn Arthur Steen and J. Arthur Seebach Jr. has many examples that are nice to see. Just don't get the idea that topology is particularly concerned with strange examples.

xepma said:
Munkres - Topology

Munkres is a solid, well-written textbook, but the required maturity level is reasonably high. Mendelson is a little gentler introduction that starts with more intuitive metric spaces. It is also much less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486663523/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you get through that, then buy Munkres and go on from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sankaku said:
Munkres is a solid, well-written textbook, but the required maturity level is reasonably high. Mendelson is a little gentler introduction that starts with more intuitive metric spaces. It is also much less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486663523/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you get through that, then buy Munkres and go on from there.

that is the same thing which i decided :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had a topology class and I wanted to learn some before I started grad school (I just started this semester.) So, someone recommended the book General Topology by Kelley. So, I bought it because of the recommendation and because it happened to be dirt cheap for a new copy on Amazon. When I read it, I had had some exposure to the topology of the real line, so I was at least familiar with stuff like open sets (though only on the real line and R^n). Kelley doesn't really give motivations for his definitions so if you haven't had a course on real analysis, I definitely would not recommend this book.

However, I have really liked it, and I have also read through Munkres, and I think Kelley is better suited if you already had a course which exposes you to topology in R^n. However, lots of people disagree with me on this.

Robert1986 said:
I have never had a topology class and I wanted to learn some before I started grad school (I just started this semester.) So, someone recommended the book General Topology by Kelley. So, I bought it because of the recommendation and because it happened to be dirt cheap for a new copy on Amazon. When I read it, I had had some exposure to the topology of the real line, so I was at least familiar with stuff like open sets (though only on the real line and R^n). Kelley doesn't really give motivations for his definitions so if you haven't had a course on real analysis, I definitely would not recommend this book.

However, I have really liked it, and I have also read through Munkres, and I think Kelley is better suited if you already had a course which exposes you to topology in R^n. However, lots of people disagree with me on this.

that's great
but I didn't take any course in real analysis , I study linear algebra , abstract algebra and calculus .

so , no real analysis

Some real analysis might be useful before you jump into topology.

Related to Good books in topology for beginners ?

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching and bending, but not tearing or gluing.

2. What are some good books for beginners in topology?

Some popular books for beginners in topology include "Topology" by James R. Munkres, "Introduction to Topology: Third Edition" by Bert Mendelson, and "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary.

3. What should I look for in a topology book for beginners?

When choosing a topology book for beginners, it is important to look for a clear and concise writing style, plenty of examples and exercises, and a gradual progression of concepts from basic to more advanced.

4. Are there any online resources for learning topology?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning topology, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some popular websites for topology resources include Topology Atlas, Topology Zoo, and Topology Junkie.

5. How can I apply topology in real life?

Topology has many applications in real life, such as in the study of networks, shape analysis, and data analysis. It is also used in fields such as physics, biology, and engineering to model and understand complex systems. Additionally, topology has practical applications in areas such as computer science and robotics.