Good book for single snd multivariable calculus needed

In summary, the conversation is about a student in class 10 who is eager to do 11 physics but is facing a problem with calculus. The student is seeking suggestions for topics to complete in maths before approaching calculus and for good books to experience it. It is mentioned that a standard precalculus course typically covers topics such as limits, basic matrices, and algebra, but the person speaking did not recall ever doing matrices or limits before starting calculus. They suggest completing topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and mastering skills like completing the square, polynomial long division, trig identities, algebraic manipulation, polynomial rational function LCDs, exponentials and logarithms, and understanding inverse trig functions before approaching calculus. They also mention that intuition and judgement
tiklu123
Hello!I am a student in class 10 at the moment and am eager to do 11 physics but a devilish problem exists...calculus!Could anyone of you suggest me which topics to complete in maths before approaching calculus.Also suggest a few good books to experience calculus.pls!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Limits, basic matrices, algebra... a standard precalculus course.

I don't recall ever having doing matrices or limits before starting calculus. I used Stewart's early transcendentals, there are very useful apppendixes at the end of the book and a pretest in the beginning of the book that should let you know how ready you are (a pretest which i failed). I certainly agree with the algebra though. Also trig would help but I was able to get by without it, or I should say I taught myself just enough to get through calculus. The popular book for calculus appears to be Spivak's though. I've never read it.

Algebra and trigonometry, exhaust all aspects of these then calculus will be easy.

I teach Calculus and my students are often ill prepared.

Most Calculus problems, especially integration, are more than half doing Algebra, or Trigonometry.

You need to know
1/ How to Complete the Square of a quadratic
2/ How to do Polynomial Long Division
3/ Trig Identities, at least the Pythagoreans
4/ Trig manipulation
5/ Algebraic manipulation
6/ Polynomial rational function LCDs; adding polynomial fractions
7/ Good facility with Exponentials and Logarithms; and knowing they are Inverse functions
8/ Understanding of Inverse Trig Functions; Arccos x = thetaThen you will learn how to use judgement and intuition in making decisions.

But without the earlier Math you will be dead in the water even if you learn all the Calculus.

Go to purplemath dot com for the non trig topics

Cheers and good luck

Last edited:

Related to Good book for single snd multivariable calculus needed

What is single and multivariable calculus?

Single and multivariable calculus are branches of mathematics that deal with the study of change and motion. Single variable calculus deals with functions of a single variable, while multivariable calculus deals with functions of multiple variables.

Why do I need a good book for single and multivariable calculus?

A good book for single and multivariable calculus is essential for understanding the concepts and principles of these branches of mathematics. It provides clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you develop a strong foundation in calculus.

What should I look for in a good book for single and multivariable calculus?

A good book for single and multivariable calculus should have a clear and organized presentation of concepts, a variety of practice problems with solutions, and helpful illustrations and diagrams. It should also include real-world applications to help you understand the relevance of calculus in the world.

Where can I find a good book for single and multivariable calculus?

Good books for single and multivariable calculus can be found in bookstores, online retailers, or at your local library. It is important to read reviews and compare different books to find the one that best suits your learning style and needs.

Can I learn single and multivariable calculus without a textbook?

While a textbook is a valuable resource for learning single and multivariable calculus, it is possible to learn without one. There are many online resources, such as videos, lecture notes, and practice problems, that can supplement your learning. However, a textbook provides a comprehensive and structured approach to learning calculus, so it is recommended to have one as a reference.